Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Limited access problems

Hi Fellow Pelicans,
I'm going through my '86 951 and taking care of some outstanding issues while I have it apart for painting and I've come across a couple of problems I would like your advice on. I found two oil leaks up front, the first one from one of the oil cooler hoses, the one that's attached to the metal stand off at the cooler and the other leak is actually a power steering hose leak from the return line that goes from the rack to the cooling coil. Both have been there for quite a while I'm sure because I can see what a pain in the a*s it will be to replace them.

There's about an inch of room between the power steering line banjo fitting and the oil sump, so it's going to be a b*tch to get that one out and the oil cooler hose is visible from under the car, but looks like it will also be a problem accessing it. I saw a previous post addressing this and suggesting a set of special wrenches to get the hose off. I have the wrenches, but how to get in there...uhm.

I would appreciate any advice you might have to offer.

To any of our 944 family in FL, GA and SC, our prayers are with you.

Thanks--Jesse
Old 09-08-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
As a temporary measure on the PS line you could just slip a hose clamp around it.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like PO had already tried that. Anyway, this is a good time to address it for a longer lasting solution. Thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
These are short enough to get swing room in there, but I think I just cut my old one off with a hacksaw and was able to use these wrenches to put the new ones in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-metric-service-wrench-set-93668.html
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not sure, but I think I read something similar to raise the headlights to give more access.
Maybe, you will have to look.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks KD, those are the same tools I picked up at HF after I saw them in an earlier post. My real concern is the limited access at the back of the steering rack where the banjo fitting for the PS line is. Hopefully I won't have to remove the cross member to get to it, but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Having examined some approaches to attacking the two leaks I mentioned in the original post, I thought I would provide an update for those who might be facing the same issues. First, to get to the oil cooler hose, you will most probably have to take out the sway bar. That will give you better access to the fitting at the engine block. I ended up using the HF wrench set mentioned above and a piece of 3/4" electrical conduit for extra leverage. While you're in there, you might as well change out the sway bar rubber bushings.

The power steering return line leak is a bigger problem. There is just not enough access to really put any torque on the allen head bolt that holds the banjo fitting to the steering rack. You will have to take the steering rack out and probably use an impact driver to get that bolt out. Time and corrosion conspire to really hold that son of a gun in there and you'll need to give it a good whack to get it apart. There's a really good video on YouTube by a German gentleman who has a series of videos on 944 repairs that should make things a bit clearer. While you're in there, you might as well replace the motor mounts too. Hope this helps someone. The old saying is true, to work on anything on a Turbo, you have to remove three other things to get access to it. Have fun.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 1988 924s so I don't know if this will help. I just replace my rack. I removed the ac compressor and let it hang. Took the four bolts out holding the steering rack. I pulled it forward and down. I used vice grips to loosen the fitting, then screwed it out by hand. It was not a big job at all. Turbo might be diffent though. I hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks 16, I'll take a look and see if that's a possibility.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: