Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

car not charging diagram help

Tried changing speedo in my 83 NA now battery light on with car running [light off with key in on position].

I must have knocked something loose when I stuck my hands up in the dash?

Looking at this diagram I am confused.

From the alt to cluster I have the blue wire but then out of the cluster there are no red/blk wires?

Old 09-10-2017, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Where did you get that diagram? Why not use the one on the Pelican site, or the one from the factory service manual?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_1_1.jpg
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 09-10-2017, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Where did you get that diagram? Why not use the one on the Pelican site, or the one from the factory service manual?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_1_1.jpg
I got it from google I think it was off rennlist and its more detailed but wrong I guess.

So coming out of the cluster is a blue white wire it appears?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Actually, the wire coming off the cluster is a thin (0.5 mm diameter) blue wire that goes into the fuse box at pin D2. From there, it exits the fuse box at pin C2 and is a blue wire with a white stripe to connector T1, pin A, where it exits as a blue wire and ultimately connects to the small pin on the alternator.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, the wire coming off the cluster is a thin (0.5 mm diameter) blue wire that goes into the fuse box at pin D2. From there, it exits the fuse box at pin C2 and is a blue wire with a white stripe to connector T1, pin A, where it exits as a blue wire and ultimately connects to the small pin on the alternator.
I am not sure at what point it changes color but my alternator wire coming out of the firewall is black.

But I think that has me headed in the wrong direction.

I am not sure my issue is from the connector to alternator. I think it is possibly from the large round connector to the ignition?

I only really worked from behind the gauges.

What is this connector? The black wire goes into pin 12 on the gauge connector.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The plug in the picture is for a lamp. What the lamp does is your guess, if you look up the color of the wires in the wiring diagram, you might be able to tell.

The power for the lights (including the altermator light) comes from the #15 terminal on the ignition switch via a black wire (0.5 mm diameter) to the large plug.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
The plug in the picture is for a lamp. What the lamp does is your guess, if you look up the color of the wires in the wiring diagram, you might be able to tell.

The power for the lights (including the altermator light) comes from the #15 terminal on the ignition switch via a black wire (0.5 mm diameter) to the large plug.
When you say the lights do you mean the oil light etc? Or do you mean the lights that light up the gauges with the headlights on?

When I turn my headlights on now only the gauge to the left lights. I am not sure if that is new or not because in the almost year I have had the car I have never driven it past 6pm lol.

Thanks so much for the help
Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok here are my numbers.

Key in on position...no light on...0.0 volts at exciter wire....battery 12.3 volts

Car running....battery light on...7.87 volts at exciter wire....battery 13.5 volts

If I hold it at 2-3k rpm battery drops to 13.2. When I let off it comes back to 13.4-13.5.

Last edited by Kings911; 09-11-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: