Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for a 944, advice?

I'm a long time PCA member looking for a "nice" (driver) 944. (Not a Queen nor a "Rat)
Manual trans, prefer NOT red...with some "records"?
I need the knowledge you guys can supply...what to look for and look out for.
South Florida would be an advantage too.....

Old 09-25-2017, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If you are not real sure of what you want you might just find a decent one and drive it for a while and look to improve upon it.

If you know you want something specific (Turbo with ABS, early NA with manual steering, M030 car, 944S2, etc.) then you just embark on a nationwide search.

Do you have any specifics?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I would spend your time researching the cars and different models and years as there are some significant differences in the lineup. I would also give serious consideration to how you intend to ultimately use the car. This can help you refine the potential variants of the 944 that you might search for. Lastly don't look at just cosmetic condition because it's the mechanics that make or break the deal in my opinion. Some cars look the part but when you spend time underneath the true condition reveals itself. Just some random thoughts.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks,
Firstly, I have never owned a 944...
Many 911's from a 74 Targa, through a 997 Cabrio, including a Kremer 77 Carrera Targa 3.2 liter Hot Rod, bought in Koln from Kremer in the mid 80's, and a bunch of Boxsters...I would buy another early Boxster but IMS etc problems and a back seat for our little dog would be nice.
What I'm looking for is a "driver" level 944 that has had its upkeep taken car of..
Getting down to specifics, a 5 speed, preferably NOT RED/Black...p/s if available...and perhaps Fuchs wheels....and ???...
This is will be a car kept in my warehouse for use on occasion for PCA social events...no Autocross, or track.....
So....advice needed...what to look for/at...
tnx Daniel
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If Fuchs wheels are a must this will limit you to 86 or earlier model years due to the suspension changes and wheel offset. The 86 and 85/2 models have the updated electrical system with the oval dash gauge cluster. The 85/1 and earlier cars have the early electrical system with the 3 round gauges. These cars were all N/A 8 valve engines except for the 86 turbo. In general early cars were lighter and faster.

87 and later cars had an updated suspension that accommodated ABS as well as 16valve engine options but no Fuchs wheels due to different offset.

Last edited by djnolan; 09-25-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Fuchs are not a must...nice to have but......
Under 100,000 miles, WORKING A/C, are must, recent service records...P/S would be nice, and as I mentioned prefer NOT Red/Black interior.
Otherwise a nice clean "driver"....
As I mentioned, I am not very familiar with these cars....
It'll probably only be driven a few thousand miles a year...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

No affiliation:
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-porsche-944-cp/6297050548.html
Old 09-27-2017, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Smart to find one with work already done. Maintenance items of concern to me when searching were:

1) Clutch
2) Front Engine Service (Belts, Rollers, WP).

Clutch is a PITA to replace. Book time is about 12 hours. Figure for a shopt o do would cost about $2500. Engine service would cost, again because of labor, maybe $1500+ to be performed.

Finding one without a cracked dash (early or late dash) is always a challenge
Finding one with all working electronics as well as not buggered up with "new" things like radio and weird speaker cuts might be hard.
Odometer gears have a history of breaking.. finding a car with paperwork to back of up the odometer is nice. Early cars, pre 1985.5, will only have a 5 digit odometer as well.
Finding one with a rear hatch that hasn't delaminated might be hard.
Finding one with cold, working AC might be hard.

With the exception of perhaps 1982-84 cars, I think they all have power steering (which leaks at the reservoir). Some will swap out the PS for the older manual rack.

See what I am saying here? Given their age and lifetime of being a "maintenance deffered" car due to costs vs initial buy in price, finding good 25+ year old cars is hard.

Belt service - for a car that will sit more than drive, as you propose, prepare to doe a belt service 3-5 year intervals. When the belt fails, pistons and valves collide.

I would really suggest driving all type of samples. When I bought my 944, I tried them all:
924S
944S
944S2

They are all similar and yet very different. The S2 and 968 had tons of torque and felt very quick. The base 944 and 924S, well, my VW jetta could give them a run for the money. The 44S was the least impressive, unless kept about 4K rpm to extract its power.

You don't mention budget, but "good" cars are worth more.. Really nice cars are likely $8-12K now with cream puffs $15-25K. Given how you plan to use the car, I would avoid a Turbo or TurboS car.

Another fantastic resource: http://www.clarks-garage.com/
2000 Boxster 2.7, 1987 944
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056

Last edited by racer; 09-27-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have an '83 with standard steering and an '85 with power steering. It's a pain, always chasing leaks. The '83 is a bit heavy in the parking lot but once the tires are rolling you can't tell the difference.

Both cars have had monster stereos installed with all the usual butchered wiring. Avoid those cars!

Don't buy one with any amount of rust, these are galvanized bodies and don't rust under normal conditions. There are too many rust free 944s out there to bother fooling with a rusty one.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: