Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering wheel, quick release, hub

Alright, so over the past 2 and a half years of almost constant tinkering and replacing parts on my 944, I believe Iím finally, almost, to the point where I can start to make a few ďcustomĒ changes to my car. Iíve already ordered a new steering wheel to replace the worn out one and would like to add a quick release to make getting in and out easier. I have long legs and have to run my knee under the steering wheel to get in and out. The quick release brand NRG makes some nice kits but require a vehicle specific short hub. They donít have one for the 944 but do have one for the 911, does anyone know if the columns in the 944ís and the 911ís are re same? My car is a 1983 and the short hubs for the 911ís are for years 79-83
Old 10-12-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

First, does your 83 have manual steering? I only ask as iirc manual rack cars came with a larger diameter steering wheel to make the steering less heavy at low speed. You could swap it out for a later 84-86 steering wheel which is slightly smaller and may make it easier to get in and out. Another option is to fit an eccentric steering wheel adapter, JWest make one for our cars.

Just some alternative suggestions for you, I don’t have a quick release recommendation.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I can't say on the splines. I've been told the 944 splines correspond to the 964-generation 911 splines, but I could be wrong. I don't know if the 944 splines changed at all in 85.

I assume NRG uses the common 6x70 Momo pattern. Many companies make hubs, however short ones can be hard to find.

If you have long legs you may find that a normal hub (coupled with quick release), bringing the wheel closer to you, could be more comfortable. But too close is not good either. Depends on how you sit.

I think the NRG uses just some spring-loaded ball bearings, not the most secure connection.

Horn is a problem, but NRG is one of the few companies that make a quick release with a horn provision.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 10-14-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have long legs and once I get my seat adjusted right for my legs, the steering wheel is probably 2 to 3 inches farther then I think it should be. My arms are almost straight out to reach it. Now as far as a short hub or a normal hub, Iím just reading what NRG says Iíll need. I canít find a ďLong hubĒ or a ďstandard hubĒ, their website just says every quick release needs a vehicle specific short hub. I donít know much about quick releases and the like but Iíd like something bring the steering wheel closer and a quick release. Now my car does have a hub extender already installed. It came with the car when I bought it but I believe itís a factory option..... and no, my car doesnít have power steering.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthesolidrock View Post
I have long legs and once I get my seat adjusted right for my legs, the steering wheel is probably 2 to 3 inches farther then I think it should be. My arms are almost straight out to reach it. Now as far as a short hub or a normal hub, I’m just reading what NRG says I’ll need. I can’t find a “Long hub” or a “standard hub”, their website just says every quick release needs a vehicle specific short hub. I don’t know much about quick releases and the like but I’d like something bring the steering wheel closer and a quick release. Now my car does have a hub extender already installed. It came with the car when I bought it but I believe it’s a factory option..... and no, my car doesn’t have power steering.
NRG is likely quoting what is needed to (closely) maintain the existing wheel position. If their quick release takes up ~1.5", they would recommend a hub that is 1.5" shorter than normal (i.e. "short" hub).

If you feel putting the wheel 2-3" closer to you is better, you can get a "normal" hub, which would give you a bit of extra length. Longer hubs and hub spacers are not uncommon. Additionally, there are quick-release systems that take up more space (and are more reliable and generally more expensive). For example, Krontec is the supplier Porsche Motorsport uses. Rothsport, Rennline, and Sparco have all made replicas of older Porsche Motorsport systems.

You can ask NRG, but I imagine their system bolts to a 6x70 pattern. As a matter of fact, all bolt-on quick release systems that I know of use the 6x70 pattern since it is the most common. As such, their system would bolt to any 6x70 hub that is designed for the '83 944 spline. The '83 944 spline is something specificied by the hub manufacturer, but Momo most definitely makes one, as do other companies. Rothsport I believe makes a short hub, you have to ask which model fits the '83 944 splines.

Also, you won't be able to use the stock steering wheel, nor the stock hub extender. The stock wheel is integrated with the splined hub and cannot be separated. You need an aftermarket wheel, most likely in 6x70 pattern. This pattern is used by Momo, OMP, many others. However, you can usually find an adapter to use a wheel with another pattern.

You can use your stock setup as a baseline. You can measure where the hub bottoms out on the spline to the wheel's rim. If you want an additional 2-3", make sure your new system adds up to that.

Hopefully all that makes sense?

As for the best quick release, there are about four thousand threads on the topic. Everyone has a differing opinion, and to my knowledge no third party has tested shear/tensile strength and wearability of each unit. But generally the Krontec unit gets the least disagreement. It is also the most expensive - the one with a Porsche part number retails for about 700, but ones without the Porsche blessing can be had for half that (apparently they do differ slightly).

Since quick-releases have become fashionable for ricers, there are several companies that make exceptionally sh**ty systems.

Do a search on this site for "best quick release" or similar; there are a few threads on the 911 forum, several on Rennlist and a few on BMW forums.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 10-14-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

nrg qr

I've been using 1 for a few years. If I remember it's version 2.0 and it just bolts right on to the steering column
Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 10-22-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: