Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Power Steering Hoses

Replacing the power steering reservoir, removed the clamps but can not get the hoses off. I am keeping them so I don't want to cut them. How do I get them off? Should I heat them with a hair drier or heat gun?
1970 Cuda Ragtop, 383, 4 Speed, Triple Black
Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Twist to break seal and then twist and pull.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelljj View Post
Twist to break seal and then twist and pull.
I did that, still don't come off.
1970 Cuda Ragtop, 383, 4 Speed, Triple Black
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If they aren't flexible enough to remove on their own they'll most likely split trying to get them onto the new reservoir (if you could manage to get them off undamaged to begin with). Not sure how much heat will help when they're dried out but I wouldn't be afraid at all to cut them off the old reservoir to expose fresher rubber to stick onto the new reservoir.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I just replaced the 30 year old power steering hoses that connect to the reservoir on my '87 924S. I had to really pry the hoses off with a tool to get them to release from the reservoir and I suspect that repeated tightening of the clamps over the course of the 30 years and the deterioration of the hose material made the hoses less able to expand to pass over the end of the reservoir connection tubes.

To remove the hoses from the reservoir on my car, I drained the reservoir as best as I could with a turkey baster. Then, I removed the reservoir mounting clamp and pulled the reservoir up out of the engine compartment a bit. I was able to then yank off one hose with a bunch of twisting and pulling and with a bit of prying with a tool. Once one hose is off, the other is easier to pull off since you can then spin the reservoir a bit more and break the second hose free easier.

Both of the hoses I replaced were damaged from the prying that I had to do to get them off the reservoir. I didn't care since both were leaking at the reservoir. One hose is $38 from our host and is an updated routing of the hose and a shorter run. It may be something you wish to change on this project. The other, which includes the tubing routed as a power steering cooler, is close to $200 to replace...
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw View Post
I wouldn't be afraid at all to cut them off the old reservoir to expose fresher rubber to stick onto the new reservoir.
It seems new hoses (and most likely the original hoses) have a flair to the hose where it connects to the reservoir. It's a different (larger) internal diameter than the rest of the hose.

I was contemplating cutting my hoses shorter, then reattaching them until I read that the majority of the power steering hose is of a smaller inside diameter than the flared ends... So, be prepared if you cut off the hose and they no longer fit because the hose can't expand enough to fit on the reservoir tubes. Again, I don't know if cutting off the hoses will work, but it was my concern when addressing leaks at the reservoir on my S. The new hoses came with these larger ends molded into the hose.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
It seems new hoses (and most likely the original hoses) have a flair to the hose where it connects to the reservoir. It's a different (larger) internal diameter than the rest of the hose.
Good to note. I just assumed the larger diameter was from it being stretched out after being on the reservoir for so many years. I wonder if that's part of the reason why the hose connections leak so often...because they're stretched to fit over the nipples to begin with.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw View Post
I wonder if that's part of the reason why the hose connections leak so often...because they're stretched to fit over the nipples to begin with.
When I fit the new hoses, the larger end of the hose that is made to go over the nipples on the reservoir fit perfectly and slide on easily. I think the heat from the exhaust manifold area speeds up the deterioration process on these hoses.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cut off the nubs the hoses attach to on the power steering reservoir, crush the ends of the hoses to break up the plastic, clean them out and connect to the new reservoir.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
A little silicone spray should help.
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 10-31-2017, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: