Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Tale of an epic drive.

Saturday was a sunny day with pure blue skies. The leaves were changing nicely, Montana beckoned, and my 16yo son and I were home alone as my wife is visiting our daughter at college. Hmm, what to do with a mechanically fresh 1984 Porsche 944 in Guards Red sitting on fresh Pirellis and two dudes?

Off we went eastbound to the Kingston exit, where we headed for Thompson Pass up a very rural N. Idaho road along a gorgeous, chuckling river. I let my son Dirk (16) drive and he was pretty excited at his first trip in the Porsche. We took off the roof at a gas stop where I filled it up with 92 octane pure gas (no ethanol).

It's about 20 miles of interstate and we were both impressed how well it rode due to the new shocks and struts - matched up Sachs all around. The heater easily kept up with the roof air. Once off the freeway, the roads immediately switched to full on twisty mountain roads. We stopped for particularly vivid trees.

Our first task was to get over Thompson Pass, and down into the city of Thompson for lunch. We stopped for snacks at a little general store and got chips and juice. Dirk continued to drive and was getting some practice in passing cars on a twisty road. The car never missed a beat, but Dirk noted there is a big center dead spot on the steering. I explained the left tie rod was loose and that's what he was feeling.

Cresting the Pass, we hardly made it to the down side when the Porsche hit a patch of ice and the car's tail snapped out. Dirk used his skills and countersteered and we never missed a beat. I was impressed. From then on, we considered any damp road to be slick until we got off the mountain. Into the town of Thompson Falls, we ate at Millies, home of some seriously good food, huge portions, and the best selection of home made pies I have seen in some time.

Launching on southward, our next destination was Quinn's Hot Springs resort where we parked the 944 out front and went in for a soak. The sky stayed pure blue and we met some fun folks while the sun slowly sank to the west.

Back in the car, I took over the wheel and the new Koito lamps did a magnificent job on the dark backroads. The lowbeams have a nice modern car feel to their beam pattern. On high beam you will think you've died and gone to heaven. These lamps have superior optics to any incandescent I have ever seen. Much thanks to Daniel Stern for finding a set for me.

We jumped on the I-90 after a half hour and at 80mph plus the car really rode well, Between the new tires and the fresh dampers, we were impressed that there was no fatigue or annoying suspension input. The blower speeds were well chosen for heat on a fall day, etc.

Getting close to the Idaho Border, there is a truck scale and I rolled onto it with a half tank of gas and got a weight of 3150. My son and I weigh 310 together, and we had about 60lbs of gear aboard as well. No word on fuel economy yet as I'm taking it to pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow then will fill it coming back into town. So I'll update that.

All in all, a day well spent. We got a few cheery waves and got to know if the car could do a long drive of a 1000 miles or more without wearing out the passengers (yes).

Last edited by IdahoDoug; 10-30-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: