Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Loose release bearing

My kid and I are sick of the "angry crickets" coming from the release bearing (area). Only when pushing in the pedal, we can mask it with a shot of lube aimed at the release through the inspection hole but it only last a day or two.
New clutch disk, release bearing, pilot bearing...still chirped.
We did not do the pressure plate as it "looked good" but the fingers are worn some.
Here's the fit of the bearing, it has the standard two (I think) shims on it but maybe our issue is really needs another.
Could this looseness cause the chirp? We really don't want to go after the clutch for the FOURTH time in 2 years.
​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/VwIiKWLSj30
Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

For what is supposed to be a new release bearing, that one is pretty loose and noisy.

I have seen bearings with 100K miles that are not in that bad condition.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's not the bearing that's loose and sloppy it's the fit of the bearing on the pressure plate that's loose and sloppy I think that's for my problem is?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If it's the fit into the pressure plate, then more shims are needed. It should not rattle, but should move with some friction, no looseness.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

this might help..

Clutch Order for Sachs Kit
Old 12-18-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It is too loose by that standard then. Will inspect plate fingers again and go from there, another shim at least.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Here's a trick for you. If I need to get lube somewhere deep into something, I take those red straws the spray lubes come with, and connect them together. There are a couple different sizes and one fits nicely into the other. I also found a shop once that sold it by the foot and bought a foot. Wish I'd bought more as that eventually got broken and now I can't find it. I've also used wire insulation to join straws together. Just cut an inch of wire, use pliers to pull some strands out and the rest fall out. Then if you are smart and picked the right size it will friction fit and join two straws. If you are not so smart, you are only out an inch at at time, and when you leave the mess of short pieces on the workbench, someone will inevitably ask you what the %$#@ you were doing on the workbench and you'll have to confess to being unable to properly judge the size of wire you needed till the 9th try. Hazards of guesswork, I guess. I digress.

I've also used my heat gun to shape these straws into a curve of 90 degrees at the tip for the same reason - get it into an awkward spot..

Anyway, the long and short of it (ha!) is you could use this straw trick and use some quality lube or a can of spray white lithium grease (I think these have a much larger straw) to precisely place more lube up there directly where you want it.

Just spraying up there may cause an oily clutch face. So that's my 2 cents. I'm currently nursing a belt idler pulley on a car by giving it a shot of grease every month or so to make it till warmer weather in the spring using a tube to deliver it right into the back of the pulley bearing.

Doug
Old 12-18-2017, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OKay, verified install order but WOW the wear on the INSIDE of the fingers, where the stepped washer rides is EXtREME (I assume, nothing to compare it to)
So my theory is the release was loose before, we reinstalled on the loose side, not knowing any better and the whole bearing spins and wears the fingers rather than the one part of the bearing spinning independant of the other so the bearing is fine it's just not snug enough to spin, path of least resistance is for the whole thing to spin rather than the two halves, thus it wears like crazy and gets worse and worse
Regardless of the cause, a new PP is in order me thinks, maybe a used one as new is just too much $$ ($400???)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
An entire Sachs clutch kit (pressure plate, bearing, clutch, etc) is $500. Why don't you add your location in your signature - maybe someone nearby has one to give away. Like I do.

Doug
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: