Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Ford Injectors?

I have a 1986 944 NA that has low resistance injectors, I've received mixed opinions regarding weather I can use ford mustang injectors like the bosh ev1 orange tops without messing up the ECU/DME. I realize that the ford injectors are high resistance, but some people have reported good things on them. In addition would removing/modifying the resistor component on the injector driver help? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

what are you trying to accomplish by substituting injectors?
just looking for low-cost stock replacements, or something performance-minded?

playing with resistors is when your ECU expects a higher-Z injector than what is in place (classic example the 951 has weird 5.5 ohm injectors, people use aftermarket low-z 2.4 ohm injectors and have to add a resistor pack so the injector circuit is back to 5.5 ohm to keep DME happy).

not the case when the injectors are higher-Z than the ECu expects.
i would THINK that new-design high-z (12-14 ohm) injectors would work OK on stock DME because the current output would be 1/5 or 1/6 what the stock injectors require to open, but "you don't know until you try".
Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ok cool, I'm just looking for something that's less money than the stock injectors and a little more performance wouldn't hurt

Thanks for the clarification on the resistance thing though. If you happen to know of anyone selling used injectors for the 944 that would be great other wise I'm going to go with the ford injectors and then post the results here.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

there's no performance to be found in fuel injectors, as long as the ones you have still work right, and flow enough.

the stock injectors on a 944 are more than capable for even a warmed-up NA's needs (about 180-190hp at higher fuel pressure). but it's likely the stock ones are dirty and could use a cleaning service like from witch hunter or rc engineering.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
yeah exactly, in my case the car sat for 7 to 8 years from the previous owner, the injectors were completely clogged with what was gas but is now dirt. Would rather get a new set but not trying to break the bank. I found a set on amazon the resistance in 14 ohm, the lbs is 24 or 250 cc they are the Bosch gen 3 style but from what I've read they are interchangeable with EV1s. Would this be a good option. Thanks for your opinion
Old 12-21-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Talking

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07426Z87H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JQGLYHJQA55P&psc=1
Old 12-21-2017, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

EV1 refers to the connector type, those have the same plug.
they're a nice color too

give em a shot, post back here how they work out. could be a big help for other 944 owners.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
for sure, I'm partial to the color as well lol.

I'll definitely post how they work and pictures of the install as well.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If they are as pictured you can either roll an O ring onto them to use to retain the injector clip or you can safety-wire them to the rail. Please do not run them unsecured.

An 012 O ring fits well I have found and there is enough material to also groove the injector body so the clip can grab onto that as well.

If you have lost injector clips the black BMW version is pretty cheap on Amazon.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Oh ok very interesting, as a matter of fact the clips were lost by the previous owner.

Thanks for letting me know

Now I see what you mean.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
So the injectors came in today and after about seven cranks the engine fired up.

It's the first time this engine had run in years but eventually it started idling just fine.

Thanks for the help and support, the injectors seemed to have worked, so far so good.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: