Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Cooler Questions.

Hey everyone,

I am currently chasing a small but annoying oil leak on the 924S. I have recently had the engine out and done all of the seals while I was at it. It's hard to tell exactly where the leak is emanating from but I can tell there seems to be weeping around the sealing bolt on the oil cooler.

My question is- does anyone know why is there a threaded bolt here? This would be the spot where you would connect the entering side of the remote oil cooler on a 951, but the 951 has a completely different housing assembly- the one on the 944/924S has no place to connect the return line for an oil cooler (that I know of) nor does it have the thermostat assembly.

Anybody have a theory on the reason that threaded plug hole exists? Are people connecting an oil return line somewhere else and throwing in an external oil cooler? Just curious.
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 01-24-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you mean the one "bottom right" it's just a plug for the passageway after machining.
oil comes down from the oil filter, thru the center nipple, past the oil sender, makes a 90 degree turn back to the block right next to that plug.
not useful for an oil cooler.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
it's just a plug for the passageway after machining.
Makes sense. Well, the machining part. The other part, where I have to replace the sealing ring on a plug that should have never been touched by anyone for any logical reason throughout the lifespan of the car- that part makes no sense. \_(ツ)_/

Thank you sir.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It may be the crush washer is not seated well. Loosen it a bit, let the oil flow to the threads and washer, and tighten it again.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

might be that the crush washer from the oil sender, or the oil filter gasket is leaking, and the droplets are just collecting there as the low point.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
might be that the crush washer from the oil sender, or the oil filter gasket is leaking, and the droplets are just collecting there as the low point.
Highly likely. This car has been treated to many new bits. I noticed it has started leaking alittle bit more than it used to after the first autocross following some pretty extensive work. I had some horrific electrical problems with the DME that resulted in me pulling the engine to ensure flawless sensor alignment. I will be pulling the front of the engine apart to find the culprit, but there isnt much left that hasnt been replaced. We’ll see, I’ll post an update.

My guess is the lower balance shaft cover. I have some of that fancy flange sealant handy if I decide to take it that far.

A 30 year old car leaks oil? Go figure, right?

Last edited by Bradical; 01-24-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: