Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
924 starts for one second then dies?

Hi All,
new to 924 and picked up one today. It's all a bit rough, but I'm going to fix her up and paint etc.
First things first, it wont' start. It turns over, grabs, starts for like one second then dies.
I spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said if you spray some carby starter into the air intake, it starts, then it will idle. When I checked the air intake (the three piece unit), the middle piece is not sealing properly (thats where they sprayed the carby start), so I took it off, used a heat gun and straighted the bent edge (looks like the clamp had been done up too tight and squashed it), and tried to start again - same issue.
Yes, I probably can use the carby start too, but want to sort out why this is happening.
Can anyone please give me an idea where to start?
This is my first 924 , so please be gentle! I know a lot about other cars, so am figuring fuel filter may be clogged or something?
I can hear the electric fuel pump running when I turn on ignition, so that works?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

What year is the 924? '77, 78 or 79?

924.org has the best information and membership for the early 924.

Contents

J_AZ
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thank you.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The car has been sitting for a long time, so first thing was to drain out the fuel tank and flush it out - cleaned the internal filter, replaced and then swapped out the fuel filter under the hood for a new one.
Now, i can at least start it.
The car runs rough as guts and won't accelerate at all. I left it idleing for about five minutes, but it won't get any further.
What is next to try please? I can't see any vacuum leaks at this stage.
Only new to 924 - first one I've ever owned, so please be gentle ! Any pictures would help too as I'm not that familiar with the porsche part names. I have had a 911 a few years back and worked on that a fair bit, so do know my way around some.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Briefly, it sounds like the injectors are clogged, or the fuel distributor.

Do a search for "Bosch CIS"

Bosch has excellent manuals on CIS (Continuous Injection System) and will help you troubleshoot the system.

As a mechanical fuel injection system, CIS works very well, but dirt and varnish in the fuel system will impair or stop it from working.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld_94S2 View Post
Briefly, it sounds like the injectors are clogged, or the fuel distributor.

Do a search for "Bosch CIS"

Bosch has excellent manuals on CIS (Continuous Injection System) and will help you troubleshoot the system.

As a mechanical fuel injection system, CIS works very well, but dirt and varnish in the fuel system will impair or stop it from working.
thanks Paul.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You're welcome.

Here's some links:

http://www.type17.ch/downloads/Injection/Bosch%20-%20K-Jet%20-%20Workshop%20Manual.pdf

https://cis-jetronic.com/public_doc/07.3-0997-06.pdf

http://ceb.ac.in/knowledge-center/E-BOOKS/Gasoline%20Fuel-Injection%20System%20-%20K-Jetronic.pdf

911 based, but good reference
http://jimsbasementworkshop.com/CIS/pages/references.html

Google search term used:
bosch cis fuel injection manual

Last edited by Pauld_94S2; 01-28-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: