Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

jase - yeah - i was arguably the most visible, and most vocal fan of the 968 for the last 12 years. i owned the largest website in the world for the car, as well as the largest performance parts manufacturing company in the world for the car. i sponsored over 30 events for the car, and travelled across the country more than a few times for other events for the car. i don't think anybody has been more immersed in that car.

that being said, every day i talk to somebody else who has either moved on, or is moving on from the 968. the reasons are innumerable, but largely it is because they are getting more expensive and difficult to maintain than people are prepared for. this means that most cars for sale need repair right out of the gate. also, they just aren't as fast as newer cars are, and to most people, having a simple to own yet fun car to drive is a higher priority than something that might become collectible.

that leaves collectors and die hards. that's fine, but it further limits accessibility to the resources needed to own a car like that.

one has to remember that this is, at best, a 23 year old car, and on the other end 26 years old. it brings along with it the same issues as any other car that age. anybody considering it has to stop and think about whether they are willing to deal with that or not.

it's not a fair assessment to say that because some 911 guy you met at a car event and said nice things to you about the 968 means they will actually get one, and it certainly doesn't mean that somebody who knows nothing about the car will. that would be like going to a dog show, and somebody expressing interest in your breed of dog. it doesn't mean that some cat owner wants one. there is a reason that 911 owners don't often move to a 968. sure, they may talk about it, but then reality sets in. the market is shrinking. that happens with any old car. if resale or value is a consideration, one has to stop and really think about that.

none of this means that a 968 can't be a fun car to have. it can, especially if you update it. i spent $150k on mine, and loved driving it. ultimately though it just couldn't keep up, so i bought a special order targa gts. left stock, the 968s are pretty piss poor though. the suspension design is extremely old. it's big, heavy, and slow, and frankly wallows compared to sporty cars today. your average miata will run rings around it. it was a great car in its day, but if you tried to compare it to just about any current sporty car, it would be left in the dust on every level.

so again i say, if you want one, buy one, mod the heck out of it, enjoy it. then toss it on the heap when you're done.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Jase,

And if you want to learn more about the North American 968s check out our PCA website. 20 years worth of work there.

Porsche 968 Register – Porsche Club of America's 968 Register

Jeff
Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
Jase,

And if you want to learn more about the North American 968s check out our PCA website. 20 years worth of work there.

Porsche 968 Register Porsche Club of America's 968 Register

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for the link and the video from your last post. I'll check out this new one.

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

of course, the ultimate 968 resource is www.968forums.com

you'll get a much more balanced viewpoint there than the typical PCA fanfare would allow
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
of course, the ultimate 968 resource is www.968forums.com

you'll get a much more balanced viewpoint there than the typical PCA fanfare would allow
Thanks Flash, The more info I have the better.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

absolutely. most people i know take the PCA crowd with a grain of salt. they tend to be a bit unrealistic about things. that's why sites like this one, and 968forums exist. they brings a more balanced view. for example, if all you do is talk to yankee fans, all you will hear is how great they think the yankees are. you owe it to yourself to talk to others.

the 968 can be a fun car to own. you just really need to know what you are getting yourself into. i loved both of mine. however, eventually reality set in, and regardless of my relatively unlimited budget, i was going to have a difficult time supporting the cars. even the bone stock one was going to be a problem. not wanting to do things like belt services myself, it was becoming increasingly difficult to envision how i was going to keep them going. somebody who is willing to do the work themselves, and is willing to buy all the special tools to do it, could probably have a great time for many years. in socal though, almost every shop that used to service them gave up and moved on, and i just don't have the time or inclination to work on them myself anymore.

best of luck.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Jase,

The PCA crowd are true fans of the cars. We don't just talk the talk. We actually OWN the cars. A great and knowledgeable group. I currently own 3 and have been a 968 owner since 1996.

Another great resource besides Pelican and PCA is Rennlist. You'll find the true 968 gurus hanging out there. Here is a link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/

Good luck with the purchase. be sure to post pictures if you get the car.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: