Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clutch slave cylinder

I'm about to climb under the car and yank off my clutch slave cylinder which appears to have failed me after i replaced the seals in it a year ago.

Probably i will buy a kit from Germany as the previous rings were aftermarket but cheap and randomly purchased.

What i would like to know is this. Is the part - the entire slave cylinder - also used on Audis or VWs so i can look for the equivalent part here and not pay the earth for it?

I appreciate your assistance, as always

MJ in Beirut
Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the clutch slave, clutch master, hard clutch line and soft fluid line altogether can be sourced for under $200.

the rebuild kits are a waste of time (BTDT), and often MORE expensive than buying a new cylinder.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
the clutch slave, clutch master, hard clutch line and soft fluid line altogether can be sourced for under $200.

the rebuild kits are a waste of time (BTDT), and often MORE expensive than buying a new cylinder.
Yes, in the US perhaps. But by the time it arrives in third world Lebanon and the humble customer is mugged on import duty, not to mention freight costs, you could probably double that.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

do you get charged on customs for "personal" shipments rather than "commercial"?
say if you bought the parts in the US and had someone ship to you rather than say Pelican shipping directly to you.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
do you get charged on customs for "personal" shipments rather than "commercial"?
say if you bought the parts in the US and had someone ship to you rather than say Pelican shipping directly to you.
It's an entire economy which is based on robbing people of customs duty.

Im sure the slave is a VW part as all early 944s were made at a VW factory and many parts are identical. It's a shame no one here knows. But thanks
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The clutch slave is not a VW part. Porsche commissioned many parts from VW and the parts may even have a VW or Audi logo on them, but a fair few were specifically designed and made only for the 924/944.

There have been many cross-reference lists for 944 parts over the years but I have never seen the clutch slave on any of them.

Free trade across borders would mean I could flood your country with cheaper goods and destroy your manufacturing industry. This also happens when there’s a weak trade agreement like between China and the USA. I digress and I guess this isn’t helping. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe someone could bake one in to a cake and send it to you for your birthday.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased a rebuild kit and did the one on my S2. I bought new ones in the past but simply wanted to rebuild one. If your bore is OK then a good rebuild kit will save you many $$$ over new in your case. Remember, if replace old junk with new junk with you still have junk. Try taking your cylinder's internal parts to a WV/Audi shop and show them what you need, never know till you try.

Last edited by jhowell371; 02-01-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell371 View Post
I purchased a rebuild kit and did the one on my S2. I bought new ones in the past but simply wanted to rebuild one. If your bore is OK then a good rebuild kit will save you many $$$ over new in your case. Remember, if replace old junk with new junk with you still have junk. Try taking your cylinder's internal parts to a WV/Audi shop and show them what you need, never know till you try.
pretty sound advice. Much appreciated although i wouldn't mind someone sending me one in a cake. Didn't girls used to come out of cakes, as well in the US? Or is that illegal these days? It probably is in the UK.

thanks
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think I heard once upon a time that the 944 clutch cylinders were remarkably similar to some similar-vintage Mercedes parts (which might be easier to find in your part of the world).

I recall the "main difference" that person noted was the MB didn't have the same elbow fitting for fluid from the brake reservoir.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I think I heard once upon a time that the 944 clutch cylinders were remarkably similar to some similar-vintage Mercedes parts (which might be easier to find in your part of the world).

I recall the "main difference" that person noted was the MB didn't have the same elbow fitting for fluid from the brake reservoir.
Elbow fittings are pretty easy to source. Im sure even in his part of the world theres a few shops that can make one for him
Old 02-02-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

my first benz was a 79 240D. it had the clutch master cylinder under the pedals, beneath the carpet, inside the cab.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Does it matter where it's shipped from for customs duty? There are some sellers in the UK on Ebay that claim "free international economy shipping" such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-944-clutch-slave-cylinder-944-116-237-00/323046352888?hash=item4b371027f8:g:fTsAAOSwPkBac0p B

I know that's not an answer to the question you asked, but I'd like to see you get a new slave cylinder without getting robbed. I just bought one for about $79 here in the US.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If you do rebuild the old slave cylinder consider using a brake hone to recondition the bore of any rust, tiny pits or worn stretches. If the bore has large pits it's no good. Good luck.

Last edited by 88Silver924S; 02-02-2018 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanciale View Post
Does it matter where it's shipped from for customs duty? There are some sellers in the UK on Ebay that claim "free international economy shipping" such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-944-clutch-slave-cylinder-944-116-237-00/323046352888?hash=item4b371027f8:g:fTsAAOSwPkBac0p B

I know that's not an answer to the question you asked, but I'd like to see you get a new slave cylinder without getting robbed. I just bought one for about $79 here in the US.
thanks for that. Here's what i also found in the UK which would be only about 11 bucks to freight to me and would not be subejct to import duty at all
http://www.*****************/fu/prod12538/Clutch-Operating-Cylinder-Repair-Kit-Porsche-92811690100/

Im pretty sure replacing the rubber seal with a good one (at least one made in Europea and for the porsche) is better than replacing it one sold individually in a car spares shop, which is what i did last time

thanks again

Last edited by Beirut944; 02-03-2018 at 05:17 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i drove british sports cars for 25 years, and owned a shop specializing in them. i spent countless hours dealing with hydraulics that had failed. i cannot count the number of times i had to replace a cylinder that the "backyard mechanic" rebuilt that failed less than a year later. often it was because they did not hone the bore. sometimes it was contamination. regardless, the best average of success i found was 50%.

the other thing to remember is that if you replace one item, if they are old, you need to replace them all. hydraulics contaminate from the inside. any contamination in the system, regardless of flushing, will find your weaker rebuilt cylinder, and ultimately likely fail.

that's pretty dicey when you consider all of the other factors involved.

if you think about it, with just 1 tow truck, you have spent far more than a new cylinder. also, your time is not free, no matter what anybody says. in the best of worlds, it means you aren't doing something fun. in the worst of worlds you aren't making money with that time.

don't screw around rebuilding hydraulics. buy the new part(s), and rest easy. it's cheap insurance.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
i drove british sports cars for 25 years, and owned a shop specializing in them. i spent countless hours dealing with hydraulics that had failed. i cannot count the number of times i had to replace a cylinder that the "backyard mechanic" rebuilt that failed less than a year later. often it was because they did not hone the bore. sometimes it was contamination. regardless, the best average of success i found was 50%.

the other thing to remember is that if you replace one item, if they are old, you need to replace them all. hydraulics contaminate from the inside. any contamination in the system, regardless of flushing, will find your weaker rebuilt cylinder, and ultimately likely fail.

that's pretty dicey when you consider all of the other factors involved.

if you think about it, with just 1 tow truck, you have spent far more than a new cylinder. also, your time is not free, no matter what anybody says. in the best of worlds, it means you aren't doing something fun. in the worst of worlds you aren't making money with that time.

don't screw around rebuilding hydraulics. buy the new part(s), and rest easy. it's cheap insurance.

I see your point. When i rebuilt it before i noticed that the bore was clean with no lines. What do people normally do to hone it? clean it with wire wool?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

this is exactly the problem. way too many guys don't know how to properly do this job, and/or don't have the tools.

the honing is done with a honing tool. if you do a lot of these, the expense of the tool is warranted. if you only do one once in a while, it may not be. you can't just get in there with steel wool or sandpaper and scrub it out if you expect to maintain a high pressure seal, as is needed in hydraulics. the slightest imperfection in the bore can result in a seal failure.

having said that, there will be guys now who will pop on and say "i did it and there was no problem". sure, you may get lucky. however, i have seen countless numbers of failures. it was frankly one of the most common repairs we did at the shop. they could have saved themselves a bundle by just doing it right the first time. it kept the lights on though, so i guess i shouldn't complain.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
this is exactly the problem. way too many guys don't know how to properly do this job, and/or don't have the tools.

the honing is done with a honing tool. if you do a lot of these, the expense of the tool is warranted. if you only do one once in a while, it may not be. you can't just get in there with steel wool or sandpaper and scrub it out if you expect to maintain a high pressure seal, as is needed in hydraulics. the slightest imperfection in the bore can result in a seal failure.

having said that, there will be guys now who will pop on and say "i did it and there was no problem". sure, you may get lucky. however, i have seen countless numbers of failures. it was frankly one of the most common repairs we did at the shop. they could have saved themselves a bundle by just doing it right the first time. it kept the lights on though, so i guess i shouldn't complain.
It's good to know all that. And yes, i looked up the honing tool. But there will also be guys who will come on here and say 'hey, mine was really shiny clean inside and so i didn t think it needed anything" but i guess it's something you can't see with the naked eye. thanks for all your advice. I will take it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

everyone is of course free to do what they want. i hate doing stuff twice. i learned a long time ago to "do it once. do it right, and don't go back." also, people's value of their time varies. my free time is extremely valuable to me. the one thing of which i am more and more aware as the years go on is that, no matter how much money i may have, time is the one thing i cannot buy.

i'm also not a fan of taking rides in tow trucks
Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: