Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation fan stuck on (not the radiator)

Alright folks, today after work I went and started my car up, turned the heat up and put the fan on full blast as I dusted the snow off my car, (its like 5 degrees right now). when I got back in my car it had a pretty nasty smell and my fan had stopped running. I live less than a mile from my work so I just drove it home and parked it in my garage to thaw out, I was thinking some water had gotten inside the fan motor and froze while I was work. that wasn't the case, instead it was a blown fuse. replaced fuse and that all works fine now... however, the knob to change the fan speed is just plain stuck on high. period. I can't get the knob to turn at all.

anyone have this happen before? not a huge problem at the moment, but once it warms up its going to get pretty annoying real fast.

any idea what the random smell could be? think it might be the plastic melting on the fuse as I still use the plastic style and not the glass fuses?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you saying that you physically cannot turn the knob or that the fan only works on high?

If its the later, there is a series resistor that controls the lower fan speeds which is often a problem source. Some people claim that a vinegar soak fixes the problem
Old 02-02-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Waz951;9911427]Are you saying that you physically cannot turn the knob or that the fan only works on high?

I physically canít move the knob.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You have a switch that has burned up contacts inside, and welded themselves together. Buy and install a new switch.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

you might also test the fan for current draw independent of the car harness. your brushes might be down to the nubs and causing a short. it would suck to install a new switch and smoke the new contacts.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
You have a switch that has burned up contacts inside, and welded themselves together. Buy and install a new switch.
Thatís what Iím thinking. I ordered a new switch this morning. Now I wait
Old 02-03-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
control knob , fan , fuse , heat , hvac