Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Odors in the cab

Just replaced my ICV and an injector(that still has leaks...) and the car runs ok again. The idle raises as the car warms up to around 3700 RPM. Which makes me think Vacuum leak at the intake. All lines are hooked up and as far as i know the car wouldnt run nearly this good or at all with vacuum lines disconnected or in the wrong place. But after the car gets to operating temp i start smelling a skunk type smell in the cab. It doesnt smell like gas fumes. It smells like rubber burning in a weird way to make it smell like a skunk. Any ideas as to what that might be? The car also hesistates pretty bad until it gets above 3500RPMs. Ill go ahead and say these problems would be easy to diagnose on my MG but since this has even more vacuum lines and hoses im not sure where to even begin. The hesitation almost seems like a timing problem to me
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look for dead animals in the dash and cowl area. Nice place to hibernate, and sometimes they don't wake up. In freezing weather, it doesn't smell, but once it gets warm, it starts to decompose rapidly.

Probably a vacuum leak is causing your hesitation, do a smoke test to find the leak.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding your high idle (3700rpm?) , also check your throttle body and make sure it closes properly and is not hanging up. Also could be a loose TPS.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
Regarding your high idle (3700rpm?) , also check your throttle body and make sure it closes properly and is not hanging up. Also could be a loose TPS.
TPS? Yeah i might have tightened my throttle cable too much
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

see if your pulleys are all inline and check your belts.

batteries will emit a sulfur smell with overvoltage. the catalytic converter can also have a special funk when heated excessively.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasryan View Post
see if your pulleys are all inline and check your belts.

batteries will emit a sulfur smell with overvoltage. the catalytic converter can also have a special funk when heated excessively.
Its not quite a sulfur smell. My car is straight piped all the way so no cat anymore. But it could be belts. It should also be noted that i didnt use premolded hoses on the hoses that i replaced under the intake. So theres probably a few tight places in the hoses. We made it to where they werent kinked but they were tight in the bends. The AOS hose is pressed up against the intake underneath it. So could it be getting hot and somewhat melting?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: