Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
Off Season Maintenance Journal, 1985.1 944 NA

I should have started this months ago but life and other cars got in the way. I have a lot of work to do and much of it will be a first time experience for me. So, I may need some advice along the way. Here is my list:
  • Replace hood shocks - Complete
  • Clean fuel injectors and replace o-rings and caps - Complete
  • Replace engine temp sensor - Complete
  • Replace spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor - Complete
  • Replace air filter - Complete
  • Add Rogue Tuning MAF kit with chip
  • Replace oil pan gasket - Complete
  • Replace rod bearings - Complete
  • Replace oil pick up seal - Decided not to
  • Replace dipstick o-ring - Not on this model
  • Replace motor mounts - Complete
  • Replace all belts, rollers and adjusters - Complete
  • Advance camshaft timing (with offset key) - Complete
  • Fresh oil and filter - Complete
  • Replace flexible brake lines - Complete
  • Replace all brake discs and pads - Complete
  • Flush brake fluid - Complete
  • Replace shift rod seal on transmission - Complete
  • Replace differential output shaft seals - Complete
  • Replace transmission mounts - Complete
  • Replace torque tube bearings
  • Replace seat belts (harnesses) - Complete
  • Fix a minor issue with headlights (they come up but don't always stay on)
  • Get the dome lights working - Complete

Shake down is a Track Night in America event at Pitt Race on April 26, followed by my first PCA DE at Watkins Glen on May 5-6. 11 weekends between now and then but two are already spoken for.

I'll be updating this thread with progress, photos and, no doubt, tails of woe.

Wish me luck.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944

Last edited by DaddyGlenn; 05-07-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quite a complete list of maintenance items.
You may need more than 9 weekends to include the oil pan/rod bearings and torque tube bearings.

Rod bearing preparation info:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/873959-rod-bearing-replacement-preparation-part-1-a.html

Maybe send out the torque tube in between the other work to finish by May.

J_AZ
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Thanks, John. I had read your posts while doing research for these tasks. Good write up.

There are a couple items on the list that are aspirational. Replacing the torque tub bearings is one of them. I am going to start with the oil pan and rod bearings this weekend. Those must get done. The steering has been converted to manual. So I donít have to mess with power steering lines and fluid. And I expect Iíll put in a few late nights during the coming weeks, in order to complete all the must doís. Although Iím spending money like a drunken sailor on leave, budget does not allow me to send out the torque tube.

This is a track car with 83,000 miles on the dial. It has been fairly well cared for. I picked it up last spring and have done half a dozen track days since then, with little maintenance. But I want to go into this season without too much to worry about.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
I wouldn't worry about the torque tube, if the bearings are that unbearably noisy....best bet is just to find a used one and build it for next season. You'll save your hair from falling out.
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Here are a couple pictures of what prompted the oil pan gasket change.

Friday evening I got most of the front suspension parts out of the way.

I started with the rear flywheel cover then disconnected the tie rods and ball joints

Steering and motor mounts disconnected

I was hoping I could remove the cross member and control arms without disrupting the castor setting. My plan was to leave the control arm chassis bolts alone and drop the cross member assembly down a tad then pulling the control arms out of their rear bushings. So, that is where I stopped the disassembly for Friday evening.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Not sure what happened. I wrote a post covering the rest of that first weekend, and was pretty proud of my write up, but I think I got called away and forgot to submit it.

Last weekend, I did finish removing the front suspension and cross member, got the oil pan dropped, the bearings changed and oil pan back in.

I did end up disconnecting the control arms at the chassis. With delrin bushings, there was no way I was going to be able to deflect the control arm away from the cross member enough to free it. So I marked the position of the mounts carefully. In addition to the red sharpie, I also used a razor knife to score the chassis tightly around the mounts. I also made similar markings where the cross member bolts on.

To support the engine, I bought the Harbor Freight engine holder. I could have fabricated my own, but for the price (with 20% off coupon, about $60) it was worth the time and effort saved.

Getting the oil pan off requires a little finesse. If you are not careful, it would be easy to break the plastic baffle inside the oil pan. I also learned that my vintage 944 does not have an o-ring on the dipstick tube. Once I had the oil pan off, I spent a long time lying on my back inspecting the inside of the engine. I found nothing alarming.

Following the instructions that others have detailed, I removed and replaced the rod bearings. It really wasn't a difficult job.

The car has 83,000 miles on it and many of those are track miles. But the bearings didn't look horrible. Here they are 1 through 4, left to right.

When it came time to put the oil pan back on, I was too lazy to go back upstairs to get dental floss to hold the gasket to the oil pan so I opted to use small wire ties at each corner. It worked nicely.

Due to the amount of time I spent cleaning parts, that is all I got done last weekend.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
During the week, I spent an hour or two working in the evenings and manged to get some of the suspension back together and got started on some other tasks. Since this is a track car, as I reattached the suspension pieces, I marked all the bolts so I can do a quick visual inspection between track days to see if any suspension attachments need to be re-torqued.

I pulled the fuel injectors. The hat on #4 and its o-ring stayed stuck in the port and took some careful work to get it out without dropping pieces into the cylinder. All the injectors were filthy.

Speaking of filthy, so was the inside of the distributor cap.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
And that brings us to this weekend. I finished up the suspension reinstall, then moved on to cleaning the fuel injectors. I scrubbed the outside, then forward and back flushed them with carb cleaner. I used a kit from Lindsey Racing to replace the o-rings, spacers and hats.

After cleaning the fuel injector ports on the fuel rail and the head with Q-tips and carb cleaner, I put it all back together. I guess the old motor mounts were fairly worn. Because with the new mounts in, the engine sits higher and I had to cut away the fuel rail cover to clear the camber bar.

Next was to install an offset key on the camshaft/gear assembly to advance the cam 4 degrees. Getting the cam gear off was a bear. It seems like every step was twice as hard and took twice as long as it should have. And once I got the gear off, I discovered another challenge. The offset cam key didn't fit. I asked for help in another thread and shot out an email to 928 Motorsports where I bought the offset key. While waiting for a reply, I started knocking out other things on my list.

I installed the new harnesses, did some cleaning and added pin stripes down one side of the car (I'll do the other side after I touch up the paint on the front fender)

I also got started on replacing the brake rotors and pads. The grease on the front wheel bearings looked like it had been over cooked and the right side outer bearing had started wearing a grove in its race. So, I'll be replacing the front wheel bearings.

On Monday, about mid-day, I got an email from 928 Motorsports that answered my questions. After many cycles of filing the offset key and test fitting, I finally got it to fit and put the cam gear back on.

That is about as far as I've gotten. You are now up to date.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Time for an update.

With the cam key in, I stopped work on the brakes and the belts, adjusters and rollers were finished. I opted for the Gates Racing timing belt. It may be overkill for a basically stock NA engine. I don't know. But I will worry less about it.

I used the Arnnworx tool to set the tension. Pretty easy to use and since my son is driving a 944 and one of my daughters is saying she wants one too, it will get some decent use.

I replaced the plugs. The PO had Bosch WR7DC plugs. I went with stock Bosch WR8DS. Anyone know why the PO would have used a different rated plug?

New cap, rotor, plug wires and I replaced one of the larger vacuum hoses that was pretty brittle. Once I got it all back together it fired right up, thus restoring my self confidence.

Back to the wheel bearings and brakes. Left front wheel bearing was the same as the right. They had been over tightened and the races were scored.

I was able to find the wheel bearings locally without any trouble, as I expected. And was able to finish the brake work quickly.

Now on to dropping the transmission.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Dropping he transmission on these things is easy. I had it out in no time.

Here is the big leak,

and the smaller one.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Cleaned up and ready for a new seal and gasket.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Nice - you are really getting after it. I thought I'd check in and see how it's going. Thought of you because last night I had to move all the cars to get a new project car in for my 17yo son to try his first. It's a 1988 Toyota Supra Targa 5 speed. Gonna take some work. While moving cars, the 944 clutch went to the floor. Just got in from the garage and its the slave, so easy peezy.

You've been busy!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Tired Member

Garage
Long overdue update:

Most items on the list did get completed. The only that remain are:
  • Add Rogue Tuning MAF kit with chip
  • Replace torque tube bearings
  • Fix a minor issue with headlights (they come up but don't always stay on)

Had the PCA safety/tech inspection done by a well respected local shop. Everything looked good but ... the front struts are going to need to be replaced soon. And the adjustable camber plates I have were designed for stock spring hats, not the ones on the aftermarket springs I have. He fabricated a washer/spacer to get me through the first round of events. So that was added to the list.

The shakedown at Pitt Race went well. I could tell the car was faster from the cam advance but my lap timer went MIA so I could not confirm.

This past weekend, I did the PCA DE at Watkins Glen and the car performed wonderfully. That was my first time at a big boy's track. I had a blast and learned a lot. (lap timer worked)
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: