Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Most obvious place rain water is getting in

Hi
The entire rear section interior carpet in my 944 is damp after a few days rain.

Any help on where to examine to stop rain water getting in would be appreciated.

And how to dry it out. Yes, i know Lebanon is a hot country, but not right at this moment

thanks

MJ in Beirut
Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

either the hatch glass is coming out of the metal frame where itmeets the roof, sunroof seal is leaky, or the side window gaskets.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
either the hatch glass is coming out of the metal frame where itmeets the roof, sunroof seal is leaky, or the side window gaskets.
the sunroof does't operate properly. I wonder if that is due to water rusting the mechanism up in side. Is there any roadside test you can do, or anywhere to look during rain?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If your car sits on an incline and the battery tray is rusted out you will get water in the back seat floor. Could also be from the sunroof drain tubes. Or like old VW Beetles, if you have a hole in your floor pans and drive when it's raining.

Easiest way to find where the water is coming is to crawl inside the car (do this when it's dry and remove the pass. seat for more room and access) and have a friend outside with a garden hose spray the car with water. Start with the sunroof and see if the floor gets wet. If not, move onto the hood and then the hatch. Once you start to see water follow the trail up to see where it's coming from.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirut944 View Post
Hi
The entire rear section interior carpet in my 944 is damp after a few days rain.
What do you mean by rear section? Do you mean the carpet under the hatch, or do you mean the carpet behind the front seats and in front of the rear seats?

If it's the carpet under the hatch, it's probably the hatch leaking along the front edge of the glass, near one of the hinges.

If it's the carpet behind the front seat, it is most likely a hole in the battery box, which is allowing water to flow into the front area, then migrate to the rear area (which is lower than the front.)
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
What do you mean by rear section? Do you mean the carpet under the hatch, or do you mean the carpet behind the front seats and in front of the rear seats?

If it's the carpet under the hatch, it's probably the hatch leaking along the front edge of the glass, near one of the hinges.

If it's the carpet behind the front seat, it is most likely a hole in the battery box, which is allowing water to flow into the front area, then migrate to the rear area (which is lower than the front.)
It's the carpet under the hatch although I DO have a gaping hole in my battery box

So what's your guess now?

thanks
MJ
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
You should patch the hole in the battery box or else the dme and wiring will get wet and damaged. This is a left hand drive car, right?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If it's the carpet under the hatch, it will be one of the following:

1) Glass separating from the frame near one of the hinges.
2) Seal between body and hatch frame allowing water ingress.
3) Seal around taillights allowing water ingress.
4) Sunroof drain hose disconnected from sunroof frame.

As to drying out the carpet, remove it and hang it to dry in a ventilated room.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
You should patch the hole in the battery box or else the dme and wiring will get wet and damaged. This is a left hand drive car, right?
Yes
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
If it's the carpet under the hatch, it will be one of the following:

1) Glass separating from the frame near one of the hinges.
2) Seal between body and hatch frame allowing water ingress.
3) Seal around taillights allowing water ingress.
4) Sunroof drain hose disconnected from sunroof frame.

As to drying out the carpet, remove it and hang it to dry in a ventilated room.
Could you elaborate on 2 and 4 please? What do i need to look for specifically to tell me that the seal between the body and hatch is shot? And where is the sunroof drain hose, as my money is on this one.

thanks

MJ
Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
If i weld over the hole, where will water collect then?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirut944 View Post
If i weld over the hole, where will water collect then?
There is a drain hole that should have a hose connected to it that lets water drain out under the fender. The problem is this drain hole gets clogged. Add to that rotting leaves behind the battery and you get material that never dries and rusts out the box. When it rusts out the water then goes inside the cabin behind the glovebox, down onto the DME (computer) and then runs to the backseat carpet.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I used POR-15 and fiberglass matt to fix the hole under the battery. POR-15 sticks to rusted metal if it is degreased although removing the rust is even better..
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i ve just driven the car in the rain and i can see water coming in through two points high up

1. The sunroof hinge the closest to the right side door
2. Almost immediately above the drivers head close to the sun visor

I'm guessing this means that the main seal around the sunroof itself where it meets the roof.

Am i guessing right?

thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
More than likely not. The sunroof has 4 drain lines, and you can see the drain holes in the channel around the sunroof opening. Almost certainly one or more is clogged. Pout a little water in the channel and see if if drains out below or if they are clogged.

If clogged the rear ones go into the rear wheel wells and the front ones go down the behind side kick panel.

The sunroof seal is not meant to be watertight, the drains are there to catch what water gets through.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
More than likely not. The sunroof has 4 drain lines, and you can see the drain holes in the channel around the sunroof opening. Almost certainly one or more is clogged. Pout a little water in the channel and see if if drains out below or if they are clogged.

If clogged the rear ones go into the rear wheel wells and the front ones go down the behind side kick panel.

The sunroof seal is not meant to be watertight, the drains are there to catch what water gets through.
the problem is that the sunroof only opens upwards on one side. Normally i don't open it. So, i guess im looking for holes that cut into the walls of where the sunroof sits. One on the left and the right, and two facing towards the back of the car. Right?

cheers
Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know what would cause it to only lift on one side.

There is a way to retract the sunroof lifters so the whole sunroof panel can be lifted out. The ignition key has to be in the off position. depress rocker switch forward until it unlocks. loosen front clamps and lift roof out. (owners manual page 54)

Unclogging the lines is easy if you know where they are. Look in the rear sidewells, they are the clear tubes. Maybe they are clogged at the bottom end.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Window scraper seals

Happened to mine

Car stored in incline upwards/forwards outdoors.

Rear passenger floor carpet soaked/puddle

Replaced window scraper ( I posted here about this)

AND

unclog drain ports on bottom door edge

... now, every car I see, I can see door drain ports.

Other good tips here too.

HTH!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: