Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bob, it's like a low-buck version of a Viper...

Hilarious, once in a while.

The "infamous blue LS7 968 with 993 headlights" (that I am taking care of currently for its owner) will spin the tires on a whim in 1st and 2nd gear on dry pavement if you goose it too much.
Something like 525hp in this thing...crazy fast, makes you laugh in a scared way, but the rest of the car was somewhat neglected with the tunnel-vision focused on the engine swap.
The shifter for example is garbage, has play like an old work truck and I don't think the clutch disengages all the way.

But when I take it around the block for a few minutes once a week, it's fun.

Last edited by v2rocket_aka944; 02-20-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

yeah - i know the car - headlight conversion not right - lights are cockeyed and don't aim right - last i heard, engine tuning still not quite right and had heating issues - as you say, the focus was on the power, not what to do with it. for me, i expect things to all work like a ferrari or mercedes. i don't have any room in my life for clanky hodge-podge installs. been there done that 30 years ago. i stuffed some ridiculously huge engines into some ridiculously small cars. messed with a couple of chevy V8s too (stuffed one into a 914 and another into a 240Z). fun for a minute, but not any good as a driver.

i have car now that is a bit like this. it's a smart roadster. turbocharged 700cc 3 cylinder. i have cranked it up to 125hp now, and at 1700lbs, it's fun - not practical as a daily driver though. too noisy inside. takes too long to defog the windows. not enough rear visibility. after sticking in a new engine, new tires and wheels, new brakes, GPS, parking sensors and all that, i'm still only in for $9k including purchase, so it's a throwaway. i'll buzz it around for a summer and then scrap it. that's what you do with cars like that. i'd never consider making it a daily driver.

i've just gotten old and won't put up with stuff anymore. i also don't really have a budget to deal with either, so i can be pickier.

if i wanted a chevy V8 though, i'd just get a vette, and avoid the headaches. you can get them for next to nothing, they will run rings around the 944, and is designed for the engine.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
yeah - i know the car - headlight conversion not right - lights are cockeyed and don't aim right - last i heard, engine tuning still not quite right and had heating issues - as you say, the focus was on the power, not what to do with it. for me, i expect things to all work like a ferrari or mercedes. i don't have any room in my life for clanky hodge-podge installs. been there done that 30 years ago. i stuffed some ridiculously huge engines into some ridiculously small cars. messed with a couple of chevy V8s too (stuffed one into a 914 and another into a 240Z). fun for a minute, but not any good as a driver.

i have car now that is a bit like this. it's a smart roadster. turbocharged 700cc 3 cylinder. i have cranked it up to 125hp now, and at 1700lbs, it's fun - not practical as a daily driver though. too noisy inside. takes too long to defog the windows. not enough rear visibility. after sticking in a new engine, new tires and wheels, new brakes, GPS, parking sensors and all that, i'm still only in for $9k including purchase, so it's a throwaway. i'll buzz it around for a summer and then scrap it. that's what you do with cars like that. i'd never consider making it a daily driver.

i've just gotten old and won't put up with stuff anymore. i also don't really have a budget to deal with either, so i can be pickier.

if i wanted a chevy V8 though, i'd just get a vette, and avoid the headaches. you can get them for next to nothing, they will run rings around the 944, and is designed for the engine.
I know its not going to be pretty or anywhere near perfect. Thats not what im going for. Theres going to be many problems after the swap im sure. But im gonna go out on a limb and say it wont be a new one every day that it has been with this engine. We’re just completely done fooling around with the stock engine.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Another question that i havent been able to find a direct answee to is, what do i do with the old fuse box and what do i do about a new one? Iv seen videos about the standalone wiring and thats not the issue. Iv heard that the old box is removed and iv heard that it stays. It almost seems to be preferential
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

this is exactly the kind of thing that screams "run away". this is not a simple install, no matter how many corners you cut. you are looking at thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, and you still won't end up with a car you want to drive, and definitely will not be able to sell.

the other thing to keep in mind is that with an LM7 you will be adding about 200lbs to the front end of the car when all is said and done. that is going to make that car understeer dramatically, and brake like crap. everything about the 944 that makes it the car it is will be gone.

many people have done the conversion. none of them i have seen have gotten it right by my standards, including those who spent over $30k trying. sure, there are a few that start, run, and drive, but that's a long way from being "right". most of the guys who have done it have sold their cars and moved on. that should say something.

this is a very bad idea. sell the 944 if you have to, and go buy something else. you are getting sucked into the all too common black hole of an inexpensive engine. that thing could be free and it still wouldn't make sense. this is not an easy project, and definitely not for the amateur weekend mechanic. i had a shop for a long time, and have done a few dozen engine swaps like this on various cars, and i would not begin to think about it if i did not have a dedicated shop space, and about a year to work on it. you will definitely need another car in the meantime.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemaster View Post
Another question that i havent been able to find a direct answee to is, what do i do with the old fuse box and what do i do about a new one? Iv seen videos about the standalone wiring and thats not the issue. Iv heard that the old box is removed and iv heard that it stays. It almost seems to be preferential
If you are building a street car the fuse box stays. You will need to make a fuse and relay box for the stand alone wiring harness. It is not difficult to do yourself or there are companies that will do it for you. There are only a few wires to hook up for power after it is made.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthropraxis View Post
If you are building a street car the fuse box stays. You will need to make a fuse and relay box for the stand alone wiring harness. It is not difficult to do yourself or there are companies that will do it for you. There are only a few wires to hook up for power after it is made.
Do you know of a guide on that? Or a post on a forum i can use as a reference?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

944hybrids.forumotion.com everything you need to know is in there.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
944hybrids.forumotion.com everything you need to know is in there.
The search function is complete garbage on that site and im pretty sure its dead. Iv been waiting about 2 weeks for an admin to activate my account. I cant find direct answers to my questions either sadly. This forum has a much more interactive community.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I did read something about someone trying a Hummer H3 oil pan and said it should be close but he didnt update it saying whether it worked or not. I was curious if anybody knew anything about it. If itll clear the crossmember and steering rack?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Use advanced search, enter what you want and click the google button next to the search box. There is a Wicki at the top of the page plenty of info there. The site is not dead but doesn't sound like the admin is very active.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Well the engine finally sold. Gonna pick up the LM7 tomorrow. As i still havent been accepted on 944hybrids
Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

lol - here goes another one - caution to the wind and all that

i think i am going to start a pool on how long before the project dies and/or the car goes up for sale

takers?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
lol - here goes another one - caution to the wind and all that

i think i am going to start a pool on how long before the project dies and/or the car goes up for sale

takers?
I have no kids and no other expenses. Id like to see this project end before its at least most of the way finished and at least moving. Your negativity hasnt changed a bit since Technoducks thread about this. Well, if you dont have anything positive to say then dont say it at all. We’ve all heard your thoughts on this subject. No need to keep pushing your opinion when someone clearly doesnt care for it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Stay positive and make a plan for what you want of the finished project before starting. Not all projects are failures. My car has been my primary transportation for the last 7 years. I wanted a fun street car that isn't seen on around every corner that could fit my mountainbike in the back.
I put a PM in to a Mod on the other site to see if he can speed up your request.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

if somebody is going to step out in front of a bus, i am going to try to stop them, regardless of whether or not they think they can avoid getting hit. it's what socially conscious people do.

this is not opinion or being negative. it's relaying experience.

i happen to love engine swap projects and conversions. i've done quite a number of them, including stuffing a V8 into a 944. i've also had to clean up the mess others have created in failed attempts, and i know how much money my shop made doing exactly that.

time and time again i see kids think they can pull something like this off on the cheap, and every time it fails horribly. having been at this for over 30 years, i think i am qualified to comment. i have yet to see anybody contradict, with proof, what i am saying.

but knock yourself out. you have been warned, and if you choose to ignore the wisdom, so be it. i'll just grab my popcorn and watch for the inevitable discussions about problems along the way, content in the knowledge that i did my best.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Stay positive and make a plan for what you want of the finished project before starting. Not all projects are failures. My car has been my primary transportation for the last 7 years. I wanted a fun street car that isn't seen on around every corner that could fit my mountainbike in the back.
I put a PM in to a Mod on the other site to see if he can speed up your request.
Yeah the planning was a big deal for me. Figuring out what i need for the swap and what could be left out. Since its going to be down and dirty and nothing beautiful or to show off at a show. It might mechanically be a failure but im going to see it through to the end. But i appreciate it. The lack of mod activity on that forum puzzles me
Old 02-24-2018, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I will be happy to help out were I can. PM me if you have specific questions. I think it is worth the effort.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Pipemaster,

I've read this with interest and some frustration over the past few days. Seems you have had no shortage of negative (and grossly biased) advice. I'll put in my 2 cents worth, but separate fact from my opinion.

FACT - There are 100's of LS# swaps completed and on the road/track with smiling drivers. I'm one of them.
FACT - These swaps are NOT hated! There are a few mis-informed haters out there, but they are the VAST minority. Unfortunately, you've meet the most vocal one, flash guy. Clearly he has an axe to grind, but other than him, who's telling you not to proceed? Ya, no one.
FACT - the LM7 is not 200 lbs heavier than an LS. It's 105-108 lbs heavier. Not trivial, and perhaps not the best choice, but it will work.
FACT - I could not buy a running Corvette with what I spent on my car. Not that I would want too either.
OK, enough fact. My opinion -
- The LM7 will work, but do whatever you can to remove weight from the front of the car and relocate to the rear if able. Example - move the battery to the rear.
- PLEASE use a Hydroboost brake. It's a pain in the ass to install, but gives you the best brakes. I searched and found a BMW Hydroboost, and used the Porsche Master cylinder. Don't cut corners here.
- HAVE FUN! Anyone with the meens can write a cheque and buy a Corvette. It is way more special to blow them away with something you built. That's what Hot Rodding is all about.

A bit about my car - Early 944, 90 S2 brakes and suspension, 250lbs front springs, 28mm rear TBars. Big Sway bars, Koni's. Engine is built LS1, long tube headers, S2 Transaxle. It's done right, but best part, my son and I built it. Here he is at 12 years old torquing the first piston / rod installed (that he did!).

Get Started....and Have FUN!

Gord.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayg View Post
Pipemaster,

I've read this with interest and some frustration over the past few days. Seems you have had no shortage of negative (and grossly biased) advice. I'll put in my 2 cents worth, but separate fact from my opinion.

FACT - There are 100's of LS# swaps completed and on the road/track with smiling drivers. I'm one of them.
FACT - These swaps are NOT hated! There are a few mis-informed haters out there, but they are the VAST minority. Unfortunately, you've meet the most vocal one, flash guy. Clearly he has an axe to grind, but other than him, who's telling you not to proceed? Ya, no one.
FACT - the LM7 is not 200 lbs heavier than an LS. It's 105-108 lbs heavier. Not trivial, and perhaps not the best choice, but it will work.
FACT - I could not buy a running Corvette with what I spent on my car. Not that I would want too either.
OK, enough fact. My opinion -
- The LM7 will work, but do whatever you can to remove weight from the front of the car and relocate to the rear if able. Example - move the battery to the rear.
- PLEASE use a Hydroboost brake. It's a pain in the ass to install, but gives you the best brakes. I searched and found a BMW Hydroboost, and used the Porsche Master cylinder. Don't cut corners here.
- HAVE FUN! Anyone with the meens can write a cheque and buy a Corvette. It is way more special to blow them away with something you built. That's what Hot Rodding is all about.

A bit about my car - Early 944, 90 S2 brakes and suspension, 250lbs front springs, 28mm rear TBars. Big Sway bars, Koni's. Engine is built LS1, long tube headers, S2 Transaxle. It's done right, but best part, my son and I built it. Here he is at 12 years old torquing the first piston / rod installed (that he did!).

Get Started....and Have FUN!

Gord.
I think itll be a great endeavour. As im still young and i really have nothing to lose at this point. At the very least itll be good experience for me
Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: