Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What do you guys do for insurance after the swaps? I presume rates go up but has anyone been refused or dropped?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
What do you guys do for insurance after the swaps? I presume rates go up but has anyone been refused or dropped?
Honestly wasnt even going to mention it to them lmao
Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

that is not a good idea. the problem is that if you ever have a claim, they could deny paying on it. always check with your insurance company, or be prepared to pay for the claim yourself. if you are unlucky enough to be with a company that frowns on modifications, and/or in a state where someone could rule that the car was unsafe, making you guilty of reckless endangerment, you could be in for a really big bill.

if your company won't cover the car, shop around. it should not be hard to find one that will.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemaster View Post
Honestly wasnt even going to mention it to them lmao
Really, Isn’t that fraud and I’d think it would be a very bad idea if you were involved in an accident and they didn’t cover you, especially if someone else was injured you’d be screwed. Best to be upfront with insurance companies, there must be some who specialize in cars with engine swaps.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

uh?? Engine swap?? I bought it like this! Aren't all 944's like this?? LOL

You guys worry too much, there are lots of "special interest" insurance companies out there. In Canada, they insure "enthusiasts" cars at a fraction of the full price. Generally, we are a petty low risk bunch.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayg View Post
uh?? Engine swap?? I bought it like this! Aren't all 944's like this?? LOL...
That’s funny but my limited experience with insurance companies is that they are very informed, intolerant of ignorance, have huge legal resources and do everything they can to not pay more than they have to.

Anyone have any real world experience on how insurance companies deal with these “special interest” cases.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

i have a friend who had an insurance company that would not cover him because he supercharged his 968. that kit was CARB certified too. but, they do not allow any engine modifications. many insurance companies are conservative like that. there are companies out there though that are not. it may cost more money, but if you pay for insurance you can't use, aren't you just throwing the money away? that seems pretty dumb to me.

this is one of the things to consider though, before starting. so is operating expense. fuel economy, oil changes, tune ups, etc, all play a role.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Anyone have any real world experience on how insurance companies deal with these “special interest” cases.
For classic car insurance, agreed value insurance is available. The rates are much lower, but there are restrictions on how much the car can be driven and the car has to have antique plates. On my policy the car is listed as limited use/antique and I have to follow the rules in the state where it is registered regarding where/when/how often I can drive it.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
"He's no wanker!"

I have my Corvettes (C5 and C6 Z06) insured through Hagerty. They ask for a list of modifications, but don't deny you coverage for them. LS swapped 944 might qualify with them as a 'special interest' vehicle...
Saved about $1K/year switching from AAA
and f*ck Geico.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Progress is slow on the swap. The engine bay is stripped to just what i need for the swap and the front accessories for the LS is coming up. Then the engine will be finished. Swap kit from renegade will be coming in a month or so
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: