Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Windshield washer sprayer still not working on 924s

Recently my windshield washer sprayer stopped working and I immediately came to the conclusion that it must be the washer pump as that was previously an issue on the car. So I swapped in a new pump and to my stupidity nothing changed. I should have tested the old pump first before I ordered the new one as the old one worked fine when I hooked it up to 12 volts. When the windshield wiper stock is pulled to engage the pump, the wipers do there part no problem but no washer jets. I know nothing is clogged up as I don't even hear the pump engage. My question is what else might cause the washer pump to not work? I obviously don't have 12 volts at the pump and I know the relay is fine because the wipers still go so what next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I literally just went through this tonight on my 924S. The activation switch on the wiper stalk by the steering wheel is a terrible design. Mine would activate the wipers but not the sprayers, and I could not get the contacts to make reliable electrical contact. There are TWO sets of contacts that have to work when you pull the stalk, and man is all that stuff flimsy!

I eventually just put a momentary rocker switch under the dash for my sprayer motor to activate it that way. Tired of messing with cheapo Volkswagen stuff.........

Also, according to my wiring diagram there is no relay for the washer pump - I think it's just a direct circuit since it's fairly low amperage. So either it's a bad pump, a bad switch on the stalk, or the wiring or ground is bad. Nothing else could cause it.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
I literally just went through this tonight on my 924S. The activation switch on the wiper stalk by the steering wheel is a terrible design. Mine would activate the wipers but not the sprayers, and I could not get the contacts to make reliable electrical contact. There are TWO sets of contacts that have to work when you pull the stalk, and man is all that stuff flimsy!

I eventually just put a momentary rocker switch under the dash for my sprayer motor to activate it that way. Tired of messing with cheapo Volkswagen stuff.........

Also, according to my wiring diagram there is no relay for the washer pump - I think it's just a direct circuit since it's fairly low amperage. So either it's a bad pump, a bad switch on the stalk, or the wiring or ground is bad. Nothing else could cause it.

Thanks I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Could you tell me what goes in to removing the wiper stock? I've removed the steering wheel before but have never had the need to look at any of the stocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

basically you just take out the three little screws on the face of the assembly, and unplug everything, and you should be able to get it out (there are little side clips on the plastic covers too).

Also, on my original issue....the Mk2 Jetta/Golf washers do not fit....way smaller than they look in photos
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Just did this in January for my son's 944. Assuming the switch is the same, one you pull the steering wheel, you can slide a piece of sandpaper in to clean the contacts and if needed you can give them a little bend. Quick and easy fix.

P.S. I, too, now have a brand new pump sitting on the shelf.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After much intermittent issues with this, I just hooked the pump to a momentary rocker switch and mounted it under the dash on the side of the center console. Easy access, no more failures
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: