Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 944 Stumbles under acceleration, RPM guage flickering

New here

Had the 1985.5 944 for 2 years, was driving back from work yesterday all of a sudden got a feeling that the transmission started slipping then engine died when i clutched for a stop sign.

Car restarted no problem. Drove home. Today had a teribble time starting all day and stumbling under load as low as 2k-3k RPM. Revving ok when in Neutral. Also the RPM guages and the Temp Guage jump all over the place. Jump to 5-7 k when it starts stumbling at around 2500

By the sound and the feel there is no way it is the clutch, also had the clutch replaced a few weeks ago when the rubber center on the original clutch failed spectacularly.

Also i am able to try to start the car in gear and the car rolls on starter motor in 1st, should that not be possible because of some cutoff switch?

Replaced the plugs with brand new ones, gapped to .028-.032, did not help.

Jumped the DME with a paper clip, made no difference, order a new one from here just in case.

Any ideas? What should i start troubleshooting and how? Would like to get some clues before dumping money into new Ignition / fuel / air system parts as it adds up really quick
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I would recommend doing the quick and simple stuff first: vacuum lines, connectors to the AFM and TPS, and the connectors to the speed and ref sensors. Next, do a fuel pressure test to see if the fuel pump isn't up to spec or failing outright. Also replace the fuel filter since it's an easy item to swap and not expensive.

Good luck and keep us appraised on what you find.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks!

Found a crack on the bottom Speed/Ref Sensor connector, where the wire joins the connector, does not look that bad but i can see the metal wire and we did have rain here last couple of days. Also the connectors feel like the plastic is dryed out and ready to shatter.

Ordered a replacement will see if it helps.

Will check everything else
Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Two things that dry out and become fragile is the rubber seals and the electrical wires and connectors.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So i replaced the Sensors, startet right up, ran beautifully for two days without any issues. Thought I found the culprit!

Now after 2 days of issue free driving its coming back! Sometimes runs like a champ with no issues than randomly the issue comes back.

I checked the connections, seem fine.

Maybe need a new DME?

Seems like some random electrical gremlin in those wires / computer
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
You may still be onto the culprit. Recheck the connector, the clearance between the sensors and the flywheel and make sure (if appropriate to your model and year) the shim at the speed sensor (or ref sensor, I don't remember} isn't missing.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: