Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Runs w/o fuel pump fuse/NOT with fuse

Hey guys. Need some help. 86 n/a. Sat for 3 years due to reference sensor going bad. Ran great before that. Trying to get it back up and running for my wedding in 2 months. I changed the sensor and it fired up. Ran very rough but it ran. Got it home and performed the following: plugs, drained all fluids/gas, changed seals in oil cooler (they went bad from sitting and had the milkshake in the pan).

It was very difficult to start and I had to throttle it half way to get it to run. Once running it was very rough. Horrible gas smell and sounded like it was missing badly. I was chasing vacuum and spark. Both fine. After running for about 5 minutes smoke would roll out from behind the engine and up through the shift boot with a burning smell. So I shut it down. I picked up a FPR thinking maybe it was flooding the engine. I pulled the fuel pump fuse to depressurize the system and started the car. Fired up and ran beautifully. I ran it for probably 5 minutes WITHOUT the pump fuse in. Ran great. As soon as I tried to put the fuse in it would shut off.

Electrical right? Maybe the relay? I found a couple threads with the same issue but no resolution. Appreciate any insight!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The correct fuse for the fuel pump is #34. You probably pulled the wrong fuse.

The car will not run without the fuel pump. The fuel pump will not run without fuse #34 (unless someone has screwed with it.)
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Let me get this straight…you are working on the electrical system while the car is running?
You said, "put the fuse back in and it shut off" is this correct?

If so, please stop…go over to the battery and unhook the negative cable, then make any necessary changes/work on the electrical system. In other words, do not work on the electrical system without removing the negative battery cable from the post.

Where are you located?
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Smoke rolling out of the back of the engine is NOT good.

Since you also mentioned a "milkshake" with your oil, this may mean other internal engine components have been compromised, such as: bearings may need to be changed due to coolant entering the oil system which is not good for bearings.

Also, oil running out the back of the engine may suggest that the Engine Main Seal has failed and that is why there is smoke since oil is burning on the exhaust manifold.

Just some thoughts here, to try and help you troubleshoot…so hope this helps.

good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: