Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil Pressure Relief Valve - Relief Setting

Does anyone know at what pressure does the oil pressure relief valve opens at ?
I've searched around and can not find any information on this.

The reason I'm trying to find out is because a leak developed in the area where the oil cooler bolts to the block right behind the oil pressure relief valve.
The oil cooler seals and gasket etc. were changed last year and new o-rings installed on the oil pressure relief valve.

I've installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and when cold the oil pressure is right at 90 PSI. Could excessive pressure cause the gasket to start leaking. The leak is not bad but I'm kind of aggravated since I just finished changing all the other seals that were leaking now have this issue.

I'm running Valvoline VR1 20-50W and let the car warm up to operating temperature before driving. My car is a 87 and is basically a track car.

Here is a photo of a engine minus the oil cooler. The red arrow indicates the area the oil is coming from.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Have a careful look at that issue ... i`ve had two oil fires related to the OPRV in my 83 race car.
The oil pressure pegged at 80 psi and blew the seal out of the oil filter which dumped the oil on my headers, eventually i had to fork out the money for a brand new dealer $$$ OPRV which solved the problem.
I also had a leak from the housing , whereas one of the bolts wasn`t holding torque so i had to install a time cert.I have two nozzles from my fire system pointed in the engine compt , one at the oil filter and the other at the fuel pressure regulator ... that saved my car from burning to the ground ...
You do not want oil leaks in that area !

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 03-13-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Better name is pressure-regulator. There's no one set "blow off" pressure, the spring-loaded valve moves continuously to maintain an even oil-pressure.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Never really though about an oil leak causing a fire, most of them are related to the fuel hoses or the rail.
I've pulled the oil pressure relief valve 3 dam time's and have not found a problem with it. I though the crush washer was leaking at first but that proved untrue.
I also checked the torque on the bolts holding the housing to the block careful to not over-torque and strip one out.
I'll probably just go ahead and pull the cooler again and replace the gasket and o-rings.
It's not much of a gasket when you look at it and may have been damaged during the install even though I was very careful.
I may use another gauge to verify that the one installed in the panel.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

can't find it in the WSM but i seem to recall reading somewhere that it was around 8 bar (~120 psi) that the valve would be WFO
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"He's no wanker!"

The 944 manual says 4 bar at 5k RPM when warm. It might be working as well as it can against the cold 20/50 oil.
It's a lame *ss design... the housing isn't doweled to the crankcase and is free to move around a little. If it does, it'll distort the pressure relief down in the block and give you max pressure, way higher than 80psi!
I saw my mechanical gauge go all the way around past zero back up to 60lbs... then the oil cooler blew up.
Not amused....
Old 03-14-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"no dowel..."

...why do you think they make an alignment tool?
bolts snug, insert alignment tool, torque bolts to spec. cooler doesn't move after that.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"He's no wanker!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
"no dowel..."

...why do you think they make an alignment tool?
bolts snug, insert alignment tool, torque bolts to spec. cooler doesn't move after that.
Actually it might... My braided oil cooler lines must have been tugging at it. It was fine for quite a few miles, then kapow.
Still a retarded design!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: