Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Specialized ECU repaie AKA ECU Doctors Ripped me off!!

I have an “87 944 turbo that I diagnosed to have a bad DME, this had happened years ago I replaced it and the car ran fine. I called “ECU Doctors” and talked to the owner “Jorge” He said for $375 he would send a refurbished one with a five-year warranty just send the old one. Got a call after it arrived that some had tampered with my old one (soldered some wires on the board) and sent pictures of the board. They now wanted $675 which I told them to send it back. I immediately went on Ebay and bought one. Got a call from “Jorge” the next day saying that he had looked at my DME personally and it was not that bad and he would do the swap for $475 (or something I don’t remember) I said too late got one coming from EBay. He said he was sorry and wanted my business and would send back my old one no charge. I asked him what would have happened if I had paid the $675 would have refunded my money?? Not likely. Well the one from EBay did not work either. So I sent two DME’s to them with the instructions to pick one for a core send the $375 one with the five year warranty and send the other core back. A few days later they called and said they checked both cores and they checked OK on their test bench but would not work on their “test car” that the boards needed to be re-soldered and they needed the KLR to check it as well. I said no, send them back. They said there would be a $100 bench fee. I said OK and paid them. I received the DME”s back and when I un-boxed them I noticed there was something loose inside the DME so I opened it up and there was a component un-soldered loose inside. I got the other DME out and sure enough the same thing!!!! I called and they said that there was no way that they had anything to do with un-soldering parts and had told me that the boards need to be re-soldered and that’s probably what happened. You be the judge.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The computer systems in these cars date back to before there were on board diagnostics, and the only way to troubleshoot is through expert knowledge and this takes time and money. Every time I have a problem it is another adventure in troubleshooting. You can't just take it to the local shop and plug in a test tool to find out what is wrong.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Have you confirmed it is a no-spark condition with a spark tester? There is a KLR bypass procedure you can try for troubleshooting. Try googling KLR bypass.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
You've joined this forum December 2003 and have been lurking ever since. Don't you think you should have tried here first or even asked about where to get an ECU refurbished???

Use your head man, send things like that to a no-name shop and get crap results? Hopefully you choose more wisely next time.
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
86 Na CA car

Send a message via Yahoo to dwizle81
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_cold924 View Post
You've joined this forum December 2003 and have been lurking ever since. Don't you think you should have tried here first or even asked about where to get an ECU refurbished???

Use your head man, send things like that to a no-name shop and get crap results? Hopefully you choose more wisely next time.

Wow, dude, he's asking for help now but instead of offering anything constructive you chose to chastise him and rub it in.... Dick Move guy
Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizle81 View Post
Wow, dude, he's asking for help now but instead of offering anything constructive you chose to chastise him and rub it in.... Dick Move guy
Haha, speaking of which...

DME rebuild/remanufacturing?

Euro 95 993 Is Drive Block causing this non-start issue?
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

does anybody else not see the flaw in the argument here?

unless an inspection was done prior to shipping, one has to assume that they are telling the truth. how was it determined that the ECU was bad? do we know the history of the ECU? did anybody open it up and inspect it prior to shipping it off? was it carefully wrapped and packed for shipping?

cold solder joints are a very common issue in electronics that are this old. they offered to repair either one of them. they were going to charge more to correct somebody else's meddling. they wanted a nominal fee for testing the units, but per the customer's instruction, not repairing them. i don't see the problem here.

i have done business with this company for years. i have sent a number of ECUs to them, and recommended them successfully to a number of my customers. i have never had a problem in any transaction. in fact, i have found them to be very easy to work with.

i would caution against saying things like "they ripped me off". it sounds more like they are being blamed for somebody not doing the appropriate due diligence up front.

frankly, i think i'd be more bent at the ebay seller, but then i would never buy used electronics on ebay either

just saying
Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizle81 View Post
He's been around long enough to know better...you on the other hand with your 5 post count should take notes. This is why these forums exist, to search and find results or ask for member's guidance.

I'm surely not here to spoon feed anyone. If your too dumb to look/ask....I can't help you.
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Somebody call Judge Judy, we seem to have a problem here...
Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

before this spins off to a bashing free for all, let's assume that somebody is just young, and only sees things that are right in front of them, and only from their own perspective, as we all did when we were young. wisdom comes with age. we all had to learn the hard way by making mistakes, and pissing people off.

the other thing to consider, is that all too often people make decisions based on price, in spite of a lack of background. going for a low price is fine, as long as you know what you are doing. seeking a low price, and going in blind, is never a good idea. we all pay for others to do things we do not know how, or cannot do. in this particular case, given that there appears to be a lack of knowledge regarding the unit, purchasing a new one would have been a better course, but better still, having a shop handle the situation would likely have been the best course. yes, it may have cost more, but there would not be the situation that now exists. the car would have been fixed, without the frustration. cheap, good, or fast. pick any two.

kumbaya all
Old 05-02-2018, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, I guess I'll add my two cents (and no, my post count isn't high). I recently sent my '87 ECU off to ECU Doctors as a core. I chose not to go the repair route. Mine had been opened before as I had attempted to reflow a few solder joints to get it back online. This worked previously on my 911, but it did not work on this ECU. They sent the new ECU as promised, but it took a few emails and phone calls to get my core charge returned. I fully expected them to say that the core was no good, but they didn't and they did return my core charge. They said the reason that it took so long to get my core charge back is that they had someone in their system with my exact same name (this is entirely possible). So, for $300 I got a refurbed ECU (944 NA) and the car is running great.

I'm not judging the OP's experience one way or the other, I am just adding my data point.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I used ECU Doctors about 5 years ago on my 87 924S. I am a local drive to them.
Everything went fine.

Dodge GC ES 278,xxx and counting.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I sent them my ECU from my '84 last year. They tested it for $75 and then called me and said that it was working fine. They promptly returned it to me and I am using it on my car now. No complaints from me!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

evu doctor

i try to stay out of these board arguments but feel comment is required here. we sent the ecu from our 1986 944 na race car to these guys. car was running fine. we just wanted it checked and a chip installed. after they received and inspected the unit they sent us an estimate. they were given the go ahead to complete the work. unit was returned within a week. we have had no issues. they were very professional and kept us informed via e- mail through out the process. we will continue to send them the work from our shop
jim mcquaig
jam motorsports services

Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: