Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 compressor question

Hello
I'm in Lebanon where there are only about a dozen 944s and my electrician has told me that my AC compressor is buggered. Buying one SH and then freighting it isn't really sensible after all the costs are considered.

I was wondering if there was a BMW, Audi or Merc which had the same Denzo model?

My idea was to search for one here in the scrapyards but it woud be good to have a clear idea from the off

thanks

MJ in Beirut
Old 05-12-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The clutch is the only electrical part. You might look at compatible clutches.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
MJ, check this search link out it should provide some good clues. Whether you need a full compresssor or just a clutch would be good to know. It might be possible to replace a clutch without removing the compressor and removing the freon.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=10p15e+compressor+fits&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjey-HgyIDbAhWFMd8KHVofDwsQBQgmKAA&biw=1366&bih=631
Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the early model 944 uses a Nippondenso 6E171 compressor which was used on a lot of Chrysler and Ford products in the 1980s. late 944 use a ND 10P15 type, used on a lot of Ford cars/trucks as well.

however, you can't swap FoMoCo/ChryCo compressors because the 944 needs 2 tabs on top to hang the compressor, the other brands only have the "front" tab.

however you will likely be able to use on of their clutches on your 944 unit.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the issue is that electricians in Lebanon aren't capable of such work on compressors. You wouldn't want an elecrician here 'repairing' a compressor so the fine line between the clutch and the compressor is not relevant. Keep it simple. The compressor is buggered. Change compressor. They can do that. Probably.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
MJ, check this search link out it should provide some good clues. Whether you need a full compresssor or just a clutch would be good to know. It might be possible to replace a clutch without removing the compressor and removing the freon.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=10p15e+compressor+fits&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjey-HgyIDbAhWFMd8KHVofDwsQBQgmKAA&biw=1366&bih=631
brillliant. Hugely helpful, thanks
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirut944 View Post
Hello
I'm in Lebanon where there are only about a dozen 944s and my electrician has told me that my AC compressor is buggered. Buying one SH and then freighting it isn't really sensible after all the costs are considered.

I was wondering if there was a BMW, Audi or Merc which had the same Denzo model?

My idea was to search for one here in the scrapyards but it woud be good to have a clear idea from the off

thanks

MJ in Beirut
I bought a remanufactured one from Jenson for $200 last year and they ship worldwide. Here is a link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compressor-For-Porsche-924-944-968-1YrW-Reman-57343/381249246869?hash=item58c439d695:g:R30AAOSwHYpZ84u I
Old 05-12-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The question is what is "AC compressor is buggered. "?

Does he mean its not getting power to the clutch.
The clutch is not engaging.
The compressor is noisy.
The compressor can't pump properly.
The compressor is leaking.
Broken ears.
etc....

There were 2 variations of Nippondenso compressors on the 944.
The 6E71 model from 83 through 85/1, and the later 85/2+ 10P15E model.
There are different variations of both models in terms of mounting ears
and clutch.

So, clarify the bugger!
Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ok, bugger means it worked very briefly after a 'service' but then locked up and burnt the belt. I'm guessing this is probably the clutch is failing but i don't have confidence here in Lebanon with 'experts' to fix it. Also, the pipe connecting to the condenser is broken at the joint.

best

MJ
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Clutches: things that fail on clutches:
a) the pulley bearing when either it has alot miles on the compressor, or if the compressor overheats it reduces the viscosity of the grease in the bearings,
b) the rubber laminated front clutch it has alot miles on the compressor, or if the compressor overheats it toasts it, like a severe friar's roast,
c) the clutch coil winding breaks or shorts because either the compressor overheated or either of a or b above

Compressors: things that cause compressors to lock up or freeze:
a) overheating due to high system pressures,
b) lack of refrigerant oil flow due to low system pressures or simply too little oil,
c) too many refrigerant top offs over the years and failure to add oil
d) the compressor is worn out from any of the above or too many miles and years of use
e) not following directions

You'd best off considering getting a new compressor, drier, o'rings for the system, have the lines and condenser flushed properly. Inspect the lines that have rubber.
Insure the fans operate properly.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Did u solve this one? If not. i suggest getting an exact replacement and dryer and stick it back together fill with R12 and go on your way. And I do mean EXACT parts. I had a previous 944 I had converted to some aftermarket R34 by a mechanic who knew Porsches. 1500.00 later I had nothing but leaks and troubles and it locked up on me eventually to the point I had purchased 3 different compressors over 10 years. Something about oil ratios and Pag oil versus mineral oil and new ounces of new freon versus ounces of old freon and god knows what else was wrong. The rear tab didnt quite align with the rear mount so was always running millimeters out of balance. Broke the belt tightener once even as the compressor twisted sideways. What a waste of time money and frustration. Probably spent 4000.00 over 10 years on just the AC. 2 new aftermarket R34 compressors and 1 rebuilt original. New dryers. 5 or 6 recharges. It adds up. Thank god someone rearended that car or I would still be trying to figure out the AC.

My newest 944 had AC go out with compressor lock and belt snap. and I bought exact parts put them on myself and took to a certified AC shop for R12 recharge. That was 6 years ago and ice cold air every Summer. New compressor and dryer were 700.00 and AC charge was 250 and never thought about it again. Lessons learned. Dont mess with original design.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: