Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Chinese radiators

Can aluminum radiators built in China be trusted? I may need to replace mine. Symptoms: coolant temps look normal at idle but get really hot when accelerating in stop and go traffic. Restricted radiator?

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did you check thermostat? I ran oe radiator without any overheating issue.

I have chinese radiator (Champion) on my other car that crack on the stem every couple years. That said they provide good enough warrenty. However I have to put in the work to replace it every couple years.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am having the same problem as far as heating issues. Turned out to be my cooling fans not functioning properly. New fans on the way in a few days. In regards to the "Chinese radiators", I have a Champion radiator in my 1971 240Z/LS1. I have around 5,000 miles on the car without any issues at all. With that being said, the welds and not "pretty" by any means, yet it is functional!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Fans are working properly, A/C just upgraded to R134A and tech said all fans and controls are working as they should. On the drive home though, stop and go traffic and 94 degrees out, the car would indicate normal temps until I increased power to accelerate and then the temp would indicate up to the second line. The shop suggested a glogged radiator restricting the higher coolant flow at higher rpm's which kinda made sense. I may swap out the radiator if I can't find any other answer. I still have a few glitches on this car to fix so It'll be a process.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Be certain that it will fit. Often the ones offered on eBay are for the turbo even though it's advertised as 944 NA.
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[On the drive home though, stop and go traffic and 94 degrees out, the car would indicate normal temps until I increased power to accelerate and then the temp would indicate up to the second line.}

Air in the system can also cause a spike in the temp gauge as you described. Not sure what year your car is, regardless, these cars can be a real pain when it comes to bleeding the cooling system. Just something else to consider prior to a new radiator purchase
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Diving in 911

Garage
Find a place near you that will clean it. Not just a flush. they are getting tougher to find these days though. Ask a hotrod guy in your area, he'll know who to take it to. I had one done on my 86 951 and the temp dropped considerably. And about 20 years of crap came out of it. About to do it on my 87 951....

+1 on the bleeding idea as well. A good lump of air will do the same thing.
1987 951 Turbo
1987 928s4 Granite Green
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: