Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Lake Charels, La, USA
Posts: 32
Michael Louie knows his stuff and is a nice guy, NOT!

Michael, it's obvious that you just pissed me off and also that you aren't as smart as you think you are. My advise is never to underestimate another individual; especially on the internet, when you have no idea of the intelligence of the person you are dealing with. Now with that said I'll move on to all your questions below so you can learn from this. Try not to instantly put someone down because they may or may not know something. There was a time that you didn't know this stuff and how would you of liked to be treated the way you treated me; when all you need to do is give a straight answer to a simple question. Okay, I'll go over your points one at a time:


> From: Gohim@aol.com
> Date sent: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:15:00 EDT
> Subject: Re: 944 rear brake parts wanted
> To: superman@centurytel.net
>
> I think you need to spend more time figuring out what you are trying to
> do. It's obvious that you don't know what your talking about, and that you
> don't understand brake balance.
>
I answered this above, don't insult someone because they seem to be
unknowledgeable. Instead be courteous and try and teach and help someone.


> Just how do you expect to balance 993 front calipers, and 924/944 rears?
>
If you would have read my words correctly you'd see I said, "I will have 951
(that's a Turbo 944) rear calipers and want to put 928 S4 calipers in front.


> What are you planning to use for the master cylinder, and vacuum booster?
>
I will use a VW Rabbit 17mm master cylinder. By the way, it's the same as the yours since the 924/944 was a Volkswagen in the first place! Unfortunately there is no room for a booster but I will try and fit one from a VW Rabbit. However, if it don't fit I wouldn't mind because the Beetle never had one anyway.

> How do you expect to connect the speedo? 86 951 steering knuckles do not
> have any provision for the speedo cable, as the speedo is driven from the
> tranny.
>
I was aware of this, I will have the spindle drilled and machined for the cable. The 924, 931 (that's a Turbo 924), 924S, and '83- '85 944 all have the speedo in the cable; the '86 & up 944, 951, 951S, 951S2, & 968 all have the speedo in the transmission.

> Then there is the lower a-arms. To use the 951 steering knuckles you
> will need the 951 alloy lower a-arms, and I think that means you will need
> new mounting pioints for the lower a-arms. And you will need to repalce the
> front swaybar since you are changing the lower a-arms, which means you will
> also need new front mounts on the chassis for the swaybar.
>
No, the lower a-arm doesn't matter. It's the ball joint that matters because the early 924 has a 15mm ball joint and the early 944 has a 17mm ball joint. The late 944, 951, & 968 have a 19mm ball joint. The 15mm and 17mm ball joints are Volkswagen Rabbit ball joints, again because the 924 & 944 was made by Volkswagen. Porsche enthusiast didn't consider the 944 are true Porsche until the '87 951. Also, these brakes are going on a 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle and not a VW/Porsche 924/944 so I'm not concerned with what works for the Porsche or not. I know what works for my Beetle. By the way, at the link below you will see by Beetle that sports a VW Golf GTI motor in the rear. The second link is a 8 to 10 webpage tech article that I wrote on how to adapt Volkswagen 924/944 and Porsche 951 brakes to a old aircooled Beetle. You might notice a picture from 924.org since the 924 has Beetle brakes on it.

http://www.geocities.com/superman1303/mysupertn.html
http://www.geocities.com/superbeetlesonly/suspension/bremskraft.html

> Which wheel offset are you going to try to use?
> The different rear trailing arms require different length cv axles. Do
> you have a set of cv axles that you are planning on using? If so, you are
> going to have to use the trailing arms that match. And don't forget that you
> will probably need to buy new rear shocks, because the rear shocks are
> dependent on which rear trailing arms you use.
>
I will use the 964 C2Turbo 17x7 ET55 wheel, F&R and my stock Beetle axles because the Volkswagen 944 rear caliper mount and hardware will bolt directly to the Beetle rear trailing arm. Again, that is because the 924 and 944 were Volkswagens. However, if I did want to upgrade my CVs, the 944 ones are bigger than the Beetle, I'd install some from a VW Type IV Bus, since those are the CVs that were used on the Volkswagen 944. I'm going to have a hybrid rear coil-over shock system and 935 spring plates with no torsion bars. However, the Volkswagen 924, 944, Vanagon, and Beetle all share the same rear shock mounts so I have plenty of options.

> To use the alloy rear trailing arms, you may need a different rear
> torsion bar carrier that the one that you have if you have the 5-speed
> Porsche Tranny.
>
No, I have a transmission made by Volkswagen Industrial division that is no longer available. Ever seen a Zamboni? Those are the little carts that go around in the hocky ring to smooth the ice. That Zamboni has a VW Rabbit motor with this trans I am talking about. Oh, the Zamboni runs on propane by the way.


> Brake rotors only work with the calipers that they are designed for. If
> you choose to try to use the 951 front suspension, you are going to have to
> use all of the parts. Same for the rear.
>
When you have motor experience and knowledge, as you will after this because you are learning a lot from me and at the same time you are learning a lesson not to doubt the veracity of another. Anyway, in the front it will be all 951 or 928 S4 parts, whichever I end up with....depending on availabity and price. The rear will be all 944 parts save the caliper which will be a 951.

> When you are done, you will have so much money in the car, that you won;t
> be able to get out, and you still will only have the 2.0L engine. And, you
> won't be legal for any driving competition classes, except for Open Class,
> where any modifications are legally, and you won't be competitive because of
> your engine.
>
Well, right now I have over $10k in parts for the restoration of the Beetle. This is just the factory restoration parts. I got them in Europe from a dealer because not only did I want original VW parts, my Beetle is all European specs. I will also have about $6k in the suspension, wheels, and drivetrain.
Actually, I have the aforementioned Golf GTI motor in my Beetle and it's a 1.8 liter. When I get some time I am going to replace the early GTI motor with a 20V 1.8T Audi TT motor. However, my Jetta has all my attention now. I was waiting for VWoA to release the 24V VR6 in the Golf/Jetta IV. It's already n the cars in Europe but right now only the Eurovan has it here in the states. Once I can get my hands on one I will begin my A2 Jetta Turbo VR6 24V AWD Syncro that will have Brembo 993 spec binders F&R. My cars are not built for racing.

> Michael Louie
> 87 924S
> 81 Weissach 924
> 73 914 2.0
>
>
Michael, every car you have listed above in your signature was designed by and is a Volkswagen. Audi did the motor in your '81 924 and I've never even wasted my time to see what was in the later 924S. The VW 914 (the 916 was a Porsche!) has the Volkswagen Type IV Bus motor.

Check out my websites:
www.geocities.com/superman1303
www.geocities.com/superbeetlesonly
www.clubhotwater.org

There is mucho info there and instead of wasting my time writing something that was already on the net I linked to many tech sites. Back to the brakes, these braking systems aren't Porsche anyway. The are made by Brembo of Italy and are O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufacture) on many cars, including Ferrari. They make kits for GT1 and other race cars. If you'll notice the early Porsche 930 (oh, that's a Turbo 911) has some calipers design by Porsche with Brembo and by the 80's Brembo was making the Porsche brake systems.

I am also the moderator for the Pelican Parts "VW/Porsche Conversions" Forum so post your questions there. Also, check out www.shoptalkforums.com and you'll see I moderate a few of those forums also.

Well, I must thank my brother and father, who are both ASE Master Techs and registered VW/Porsche/Audi Master Techs with over 60 years of combined experience for schooling me on all this as I grew up. I'm actually a young man and surprise a lot of people (such as you now) that I have a vast knowledge of the VW/Porsche/Audi parts system, intercorperate structure, and world market.

I'm going to close now because I've gotta go play with my Jetta:
http://www.geocities.com/superman1303/jetta/myjettn.html
OR should I take the Audi:
http://www.geocities.com/superman1303/audi/myauditn.html

Please learn from this and respect other people and their feelings. If I were some kid just wanting to learn then you might have driven me away. Take care buddy and write me if you need to learn anything else.......and for those that made it this far "I'm looking for the rear caliper mount, dust shield, hub, and rotor from a '83-'85.5 944." That is all I asked for.....not this crap from Mr. Know it all -------> Michael Louie, the guy with the VW 924 that has Audi 4x108mm bolt pattern rear drums and a single rotor VW disc in the front.....some brakes......the VW Beetle and 'Ghia came with those same brakes but with the 4x130mm bolt pattern. Oh, but the wheel cylinders on the 924 are 2mm bigger than the Beetle......alert Brembo they have competition!!

Check out this magazine article that has a Porsche 911 vs. a Volkswagen Beetle in Cup race trim. By the way, this Beetle has 944 brakes F&R:
http://www.geocities.com/superman1303/vwt.html

I am going to post this on a few mailing list, forums, and newsgroups, not to flame you but rather let others learn from all the information here.. You see, I try to help people and be kinda and courteous.

Later guys......
Michael, don't you feel like the fugging arsehole.

Ciao,James 8^)

Audi 4000S
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6813/audi/myauditn.html
-stock 1.8 and factory Ronal wheels

VW Jetta GLI 16V
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6813/myjettn.html
-no cat or mufflers and 4" tip,
factory Heidleburg IV stereo, MOMO chrome Arrow 15x7
wheels with 195/50VR15 Nitto 450 tires, Recaro
seats with a few cigarette burns (not from me!), MOMO
Runner steering wheel (can you say $330), A1 FF trans,
Limo tinted windows front and rear with state permit,
soon to get the suspension upgrades

VW Super Beetle
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6813/mysupertn.html
-1.8 GTI 8V motor, Rabbit Diesel radiator
mounted in front trunk spare tire well, Heidleberg IV stereo,
GTI Recaro seats, Topline adjustable suspension, 15x5.5 Empi
8's with 195/50HR15 BF Goodrich Euro T/As, over $10k in parts
in boxes tucked away for the complete resto one day
Old 05-14-2001, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:01 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.