Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FS : Manual Steering Shaft

Used Manual Steering Shaft . $65 shipped in 48 states
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't suppose this is still for sale, is it?

Former owner of: '88 924LE (Luddite Edition) manual steering, manual sunroof, manual windows, AC delete, cruise delete, M030 Konis, 25.5 torsions, 931 valance and header panels, 6X16 Fuchs, lowered, etc, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi, question for you. What is the length of the steering shaft end to end and what is the difference in lenght from manual to power steering rod?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

From what I've read, the manual shaft is about 2cm longer. I'll be starting the swap-out on my car tomorrow, so I can give you exact measurements then.

Former owner of: '88 924LE (Luddite Edition) manual steering, manual sunroof, manual windows, AC delete, cruise delete, M030 Konis, 25.5 torsions, 931 valance and header panels, 6X16 Fuchs, lowered, etc, etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi, that would be great if you could give me a measurement. I have a manual rack but not sure if the shaft that I got with it is for manual or power steering as he wasn't sure which it was.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The top one is the power shaft (15 1/8").
The bottom is the manual (16").

Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer my question and post a photo. Has anyone ever made a power rack shaft longer to use it for a manual rack and if so did you add metal to the middle of the shaft or weld to the end then add?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Funny you should ask. I just finished doing exactly that. I cut a power shaft in half and put a sleeve over it extending it 7/8". I made the sleeve by boring out a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe. I then drilled some holes through it, tapped them, and put bolts through it. The only problem with this is the fact that the orientation of the two u-jointed ends relative to each other is a little bit different between the power and manual shafts. I was able to make it the same as the manual because I had a worn out manual shaft to go by. It shouldn't be a big deal if you don't get it just right, but you may have to adjust your steering wheel to line it back up after it's all installed.

I'll try to post some pics of the finished product tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: