Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Scammer Alert.. Buyers Beware

I went to look at a 1986 944 Turbo parts car located right outside allentown PA yesterday. Many of you may have seen the ad in the for sale section. it was that grey turbo that slammed backwards into a telephone pole. I suggest that you dont even waste your time to drive out there. I wasted 4 hours worth of driving, and $150 in gas pulling a 24 foot enclosed race trailer. There are the following reasons i suggest you dont waste your time.

1.) Ad says it has LSD trans.. Jacked one wheel up.. left the other on the ground.. Wheel spins freely... Its not LSD.
2.) The clutch is a wet noodle, almost non existant. Doesnt grab until the VERY VERY VERY end.
3.) Ad says no dash cracks and "pristine" interior.. Bull****.
4.) The car had barly any oil in it.
5.) The car had green prestone coolant.. That **** eats aluminum.. you need phosphate free.
6.) The kid who owns the car lives in Cali.. its at his friends house.. When he knows someone is coming to look at the car at 7PM eastern time.. he decides its a good time to take a nap and not answer his phone so I could explain what I saw and make another offer. However, he did have the curtousy to call back when I was about 30 minutes from home. Then he denys that the car does not have LSD, and that it is in the condition he wrote the ad as.. Keep dreaming. Thanks alot man.

I also found out from the kids friend that the kid crashed the car the first day he had it before he even put insurance on it, then bought a plane ticket to Cali the next day and hasnt been seen for 4 years; so this kid sounds like a real winner. I wish I knew this before I even went out, I probably would have figured it was sketchy.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and get in touch and I can explain. I am extremely pissed that I wasted my whole saturday and money, but atleast now I can help someone avoid the same situation.

-keith
Old 06-17-2007, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

that ad is old.. i remember seeing that ages ago (unless there's a new one out there)

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

He put a new one up the other day.. But I think he might have just taken it down last night after I reamed his ass. I cant find it agian now that I look.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I drove all the way out to try to find him over 600 I sent him for a trans a few years back that he never shipped he went by mochman on rennlist. Still never have heard from him
Old 06-17-2007, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think I can dig up his phone number and you can give him a call if you would like.

-keith
Old 06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
Wow, thank you much. It's listed on ebay right now and I was considering bidding just to part it out. Good lookin out.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

whats the ebay ad number.. I want to see if he changed it after I told him everything was wrong with it.. or if he is still bull****ting.

-keith
Old 06-17-2007, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I guess there is no way to make a comment on the ebay ad.. I was just looking at it.. I sent him a message asking him how he can confirm that it is LSD.. Im curious what he will say.

I feel bad for whatever poor soul wins that auction.. they are going to be in for quite the suprise.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
The ways I would think would be checking the original option codes under the rear carpeting for one or removing the tranny and checking the stamped code.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The option code is the worst way unless you are the orininal owner and know for sure that no one ever swapped a new trans into it. Jacking up one wheel will either confirm that it has LSD, is open diff.. Or is an LSD that is totally disfunctional. Which is a possibility here, but doubtfull.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Keith:

Thanks so much for the post!!

I was thinking about getting on a plane to go see this car myself.

Geez! What a waste of time and ga$.

Appreciate the "heads-up" on this heap of metal garbage.

Freaking jerks making it bad for the rest of us honest 944 owners/sellers.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No problem.. The kid just updated his ebay add confirming that the car does NOT have LSD. Better late then never I guess.. but that didnt help me.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
In my past experience jacking up one wheel does always work to check for lsd, I have had 2 experiences that the one wheel turned freely, due to the fact the car sat a long while but once the fluid was changed and the car was driven , the lsd was fully operational. the best thing to do is check the code on the top of the tranny with a mirror...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: