Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

For Sale: 60,000 mile 944S transaxle

The last big item I have from my 944S parts car is the transaxle. It is the original transaxle to the car, and is open diff (no LSD). The car had an estimated 60,000 miles on it (52,900 on odometer, but I believe the gear was broken for a few years). I have driven this car when it was 100%. It shifted extremely well. Car was owned by my uncle for the past 2 years, where it served as a daily/green run DE car. Adult owned, never abused, never power shifted, and so on. Car was sideswiped in the driver's door, NOT hit head-on. Further, the accident was in snow...the car just drifted when hit. I do not believe that this transaxle suffered a shock load. I have moved the car around the yard, and it did not have any trouble, strange noises, etc (but this was ~5 mph). Pics show a little surface rust. It is not significant.

The 944S transaxle comes with 944 Turbo gears, but a revised ring and pinion to match the 16 valve's characteristics (same final drive ratio as an NA). I believe the ring and pinion were strengthened over the 944 NA cars, but the ring and pinion are not as stout as those in a 951 or S2 gearbox. This will directly bolt into any 944 NA or 944S. It has the short 5th gear compared to earlier 944 transaxles, allowing for a little extra acceleration when in 5th. It would make a good upgrade if you have recently experienced a 944 transaxle failure.

The bad: My uncle complained of a whining on deceleration, in any gear. This is secondhand information, as I have not driven the car much. I did not own this car before it was sideswiped. He used Swepco oil in it, I think it was 203 (correct viscosity, just with molybdenum disulfide). I know it wasn't the 201 that is typically used in these cars. A change of oil could help this. He is also fairly fickle about his cars and could be exagerrating- his 996 is 4 years old and only has 13k miles on it.

Further, I have heard of other 944S owners remarking about a whine from their transaxles, and seems to be regarded as normal. The transaxle in my 83 has 145,000 miles on it, is fine, and whines far more than I remember from this transaxle. I would feel comfortable installing this in my own car if the transaxle failed tomorrow- I think that 944 transaxles are inherently noisy and it is not a significant issue. It could even have been a torque tube bearing or other unrelated part making the noise- a final diagnosis on the noise was not made. I only mention this supposed whine to be completely open and upfront. Transaxle is sold as-is.

I am asking $500 US+shipping, which seems to run about $100-150 depending on your location. Considering the low mileage and claims by others of noisy transaxles, I believe this is a fair price. I am in Connecticut. It is available for local pickup, and I am open to some negotiation on price.

Please email me at joelszark AT sbcglobal DOT net if you have any questions- I will be happy to answer them. I will be adding a link where you can see my other 944 parts. Thanks, Joel

Last edited by yellowline; 08-15-2007 at 12:04 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

No interest? I'll come down a little on the price...

I'm exagerrating the whine because I talk down everything I sell. The result is that I have never had a complaint from any of my parts buyers. I'd keep it as a spare for my own car, but being a student, I want money more.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I talked to my uncle and he said that I greatly exagerrated the noise.

Need it out of here this week...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crew Chief

PM sent
GruppeB #093
Carolinas Region PCA Member
National PCA Driving Instructor

'71 911 RSR look
'74 914 2.0
'76 911S Targa
'83 930S Slantnose (13000 miles)
'86 951 Prototype Testcar built in '84 (56000 miles) Serial #00014
'86 951
'87 944

"Life is short , drive Fast"
Old 08-21-2007, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Sold, thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: