Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTBorrow or rent '88 951 DME

Anybody in the Northeast! I have exhausted all remedies for my non starting 88 951, the last thing to try is the DME. If I can get a hold of one on loan and it turns out to be the dme, I will purchase if the price is reasonable. I said reasonable becuase the car is sitting at the body shop half way through a ~$3600 and rising body work and paint job and I'm committed to the last half of the bill after I get it running again.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i put a '86 DME in my '88... it fixed my problem, too.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the 24 pin wouldn't work in the 28 pin DME. Was also just told the 'S version wouldn't work either. Some one should compile a list of which ones work with each model and year.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliporsche View Post
Anybody in the Northeast! I have exhausted all remedies for my non starting 88 951, the last thing to try is the DME. If I can get a hold of one on loan and it turns out to be the dme, I will purchase if the price is reasonable. I said reasonable becuase the car is sitting at the body shop half way through a ~$3600 and rising body work and paint job and I'm committed to the last half of the bill after I get it running again.
Did you try changing the klr box?My 88 wouldn't start and a Rennlister suggested it could be the klr so I swapped in a spare and the car fired right up.
There is also a way to get the spark signal to bypass the klr box with a jumper wire.You may want to search the posts over at Rennlist for more info.Or at least check to see it your getting spark.

I would also pull the fuel rail to make sure your injectors are squirting fuel.I had 2 of them lock up on me in an 86 944 I picked up.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If an 86 will work I have one of those.. I was always under the impression that the 86 was unique to the 86 cars.. and anything 87+ is the same except for the "turbo S" stuff

-Keith
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith951 View Post
If an 86 will work I have one of those.. I was always under the impression that the 86 was unique to the 86 cars.. and anything 87+ is the same except for the "turbo S" stuff

-Keith
So was I, 24 pin and 28 pin seem too different.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

winter-hater club member

i switched out the whole dme, not just the chip. works just fine.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
Did you try changing the klr box?My 88 wouldn't start and a Rennlister suggested it could be the klr so I swapped in a spare and the car fired right up.
There is also a way to get the spark signal to bypass the klr box with a jumper wire.You may want to search the posts over at Rennlist for more info.Or at least check to see it your getting spark.

I would also pull the fuel rail to make sure your injectors are squirting fuel.I had 2 of them lock up on me in an 86 944 I picked up.

Good luck.
Well not but I still need to borrow one or buy one.
If I had a set for the 88 that was accessible, I would know for sure if thats what is really needed.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Well not but I still need to borrow one or buy one.
If I had a set for the 88 that was accessible, I would know for sure if thats what is really needed.
Here is the procedure for bypassing the klr.That is assuming you don't have spark.You could try it, if you don't have access to another klr box.
Have you checked to make sure you have fuel and spark?Try it at your own risk.

The DME controls all the "basic" ignition timing via its' ignition maps. The KLR just
basically retards the DME timing based on a number of variables, e.g. boost, knock,
TPS, etc. The DME outputs a spark signal on pin 21 to the KLR pin 9. The KLR
"decides" the retard amount and outputs the signal on pin 16 to the DME pin 32.
The 944 can run without the KLR by just jumping pins 21 & 32 of the DME
or pins 9 & 16 of the KLR.

Last edited by boosted; 09-27-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'll try it

Quote:
Here is the procedure for bypassing the klr.That is assuming you don't have spark.You could try it, if you don't have access to another klr box.
Have you checked to make sure you have fuel and spark?Try it at your own risk.

The DME controls all the "basic" ignition timing via its' ignition maps. The KLR just
basically retards the DME timing based on a number of variables, e.g. boost, knock,
TPS, etc. The DME outputs a spark signal on pin 21 to the KLR pin 9. The KLR
"decides" the retard amount and outputs the signal on pin 16 to the DME pin 32.
The 944 can run without the KLR by just jumping pins 21 & 32 of the DME
or pins 9 & 16 of the KLR.
Thanks boosted
Great information to know.
I have fuel pressure and the noid light says the injectors are cycling, Just no spark at all. I'll give it a try when I go up tommorrow afternoon.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks boosted
Great information to know.
I have fuel pressure and the noid light says the injectors are cycling, Just no spark at all. I'll give it a try when I go up tommorrow afternoon.
I had a noid light also on an 86 I picked up and it said the injectors were firing,finally I pulled the rail and saw 2 were not squirting.I was able to get them working on the bench using a 9 volt battery/air compressor/hose and carb cleaner.So watch out for just trusting the noid light, although I know you have no spark problem.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a noid light also on an 86 I picked up and it said the injectors were firing,finally I pulled the rail and saw 2 were not squirting.I was able to get them working on the bench using a 9 volt battery/air compressor/hose and carb cleaner.So watch out for just trusting the noid light, although I know you have no spark problem.
Roger that.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Jumping the KLR at pins 9 and 16 didn't do it. I have followed all the procedures on Clarks page and reaching the end of the line here. I want to say that the DME is history. Any other options??
Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old Jaguars suck!

re-nostart

If you have fallowed Clarks diagnostic tree which would have covered the basics of fuel pressure, fuel injector activation, ignition spark, crankshaft sensor operation Then you would be left with no other options.

But before you replace either modules tell me what tests you've performed and the results. 29 years of professional experience.
78 924 R.I.P 1st Porsche ever owned
84 944 (951 clone )
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Spook, Old Triumphs suck too!!
I went through everything on clarks, even tried the KLR bypass. Do you have any other suggestions ? I'm open to whatever as this is really dragging on.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: