Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB Turbo Linited Slip Transmission

Looking for a LSD for my race car. Please contact me if you have one. I am located in Louisiana.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
JoshB has one - Good fellow

Last edited by Kolsch951; 03-25-2008 at 05:45 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Kolsch951 for the kind words Yep - I've got a 951 lsd tranny for sale for $1500 and I can ship it in the US via DHL for $75. Probably could arrange shipment by Thursday if needed.

Here is the story on it - little long but I figure more detail is better....copied and pasted this from a message I sent to another guy today about this transmission.....

The 87 turbo I am currently driving had a factory limited slip trans in it with no cooler when I bought it. However the ring and pinion was busted so I pulled the transmission and put in another one that I had on hand.

I took the broken lsd trans from my car and another spare non lsd turbo trans with cooler that I had to a mechanic friend of mine - Steve - that is actually on rennlist as bader$. He is certified and actually teaches classes about working on cars.

Steve took the lsd unit out of the busted tranmsission and put it into the good trans. We were not able to keep the cooler on though as you have to have a special fluid pump gear to clear the lsd unit and Porsche no longer offers it. He replaced the gaskets and carrier bearings while he was in the tranmission and visually inspected everything as well. (About $100 of parts from Paragon)

So now I have this lsd transmission ready to go - you would just need to add whatever you favorite trans fluid it. The code on the top is 5P 16 06 6 which means the transmission was built June 16th of 1986.

Last edited by JoshB; 03-25-2008 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sent you an email on this. Best of luck in your search.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Thanks Kolsch951 for the kind words Yep - I've got a 951 lsd tranny for sale for $1500 and I can ship it in the US via DHL for $75. Probably could arrange shipment by Thursday if needed.

Here is the story on it - little long but I figure more detail is better....copied and pasted this from a message I sent to another guy today about this transmission.....

The 87 turbo I am currently driving had a factory limited slip trans in it with no cooler when I bought it. However the ring and pinion was busted so I pulled the transmission and put in another one that I had on hand.

I took the broken lsd trans from my car and another spare non lsd turbo trans with cooler that I had to a mechanic friend of mine - Steve - that is actually on rennlist as bader$. He is certified and actually teaches classes about working on cars.

Steve took the lsd unit out of the busted tranmsission and put it into the good trans. We were not able to keep the cooler on though as you have to have a special fluid pump gear to clear the lsd unit and Porsche no longer offers it. He replaced the gaskets and carrier bearings while he was in the tranmission and visually inspected everything as well. (About $100 of parts from Paragon)

So now I have this lsd transmission ready to go - you would just need to add whatever you favorite trans fluid it. The code on the top is 5P 16 06 6 which means the transmission was built June 16th of 1986.

Thanks for your offer. I have seen some LSD's going for less than the one you are offering and will wait to find one in the $850 to $1,000 range. Thanks for contacting me.

Ron
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Ron,
No worries - I can understand looking for a good deal. I just realized too that you didn't say if your car was an NA or Turbo. As I recall the NA LSD transmission have been up for sale for less.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My car is a 1983 Euro model on a turbo frame. I understand that the transmission is a regular transmission for the 1983 model. The race car builder of my car built this car for his wife who was a DE instructor and indicated to me that if I found any LSD transmission, it would fit and it was not necessary to have a cooler.

I am not as familiar with these things as people who are int he know.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeper View Post
Thanks for your offer. I have seen some LSD's going for less than the one you are offering and will wait to find one in the $850 to $1,000 range. Thanks for contacting me.

Ron
N/A LSD's sell in that price range, but you don't see turbo LSD's in that range.

I'm a bit confused about your car though.... These are unibody cars, how can you have an '83 on a 'turbo frame'?

Perhaps what you have is turbo running gear(suspension, brakes) for better handling. If that's the case, all you want/need is the N/A LSD, as you aren't going to have the power to make use of the 951 LSD. You might be able to get away with an S or S2 LSD though.

Your tranny needs are going to be based on your engines output.

Another thing to consider. Any LSD tranny in the 800-1000 dollar range is going to be high in mileage, and could have worn clutch packs.

So you could just pony up an extra $400 and get a brand new unit, Click!

Personally, the new unit is the way I'll go when I have the money for an LSD in my 951. Better piece of mind.
08 Suzuki Boulevard M109R LE
02 Nissan Altima SE3.5

Last edited by 88BlueTSiQuest; 03-28-2008 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

I have the 2.5 L engine and do remember that the builder mentioned that all the brakes, suspension, etc were turbo, so I had to use the turbo offset offset when buying rims. I wil try to cal him to find out the complete set up. I believe you are right and could get by with the S or the S2 LSD.

Ron
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Other confusion just set in. Are you sure this is a Euro model? I'm seeing a standard US front bumper, and a standard US front side marker light. It's also hard to tell from that angle, but it also appears it has the US spec rear bumper too.
02 Nissan Altima SE3.5
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-944-RED-TAX-TESTED-LOW-RESERVE-SUMMER-FUN_W0QQitemZ350038521943QQihZ022QQcategoryZ29758Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is what a euro version looks like. Pay attention to the front and rear bumper differences.
02 Nissan Altima SE3.5
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest View Post
N/A LSD's sell in that price range, but you don't see turbo LSD's in that range.

I'm a bit confused about your car though.... These are unibody cars, how can you have an '83 on a 'turbo frame'?

Perhaps what you have is turbo running gear(suspension, brakes) for better handling. If that's the case, all you want/need is the N/A LSD, as you aren't going to have the power to make use of the 951 LSD. You might be able to get away with an S or S2 LSD though.

Your tranny needs are going to be based on your engines output.

Another thing to consider. Any LSD tranny in the 800-1000 dollar range is going to be high in mileage, and could have worn clutch packs.

So you could just pony up an extra $400 and get a brand new unit, Click!

Personally, the new unit is the way I'll go when I have the money for an LSD in my 951. Better piece of mind.
I wonder what the going rate is to put a limited slip unit into a transmission? When I had the work on this transmission done I paid for parts and also traded a set of front and rear turbo brake calipers and front turbo spindles - probably worth about $500 and felt I was getting a good deal.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

In terms of desirabilty and cost based on my experience this would be the flow for an limited slip transmission. The NA race guys like the S transmission because of the different higher gears and the modified turbo guys like the S2 transmission because of the shorter 5th gear. With you budget you should probably stay on the hunt for an NA limited slip trans. They don't pop on the market that often.

NA Trans/S Trans/Turbo Trans/S2 Trans
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I checked with a transmissin guy in our town and the installation of a new transmissin and take the old out is according to his hour book is a 4 hour job. He told me it would cost about $325 to install and take out the old one. He told me it is a bolt and run.

Ron
Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I wonder what the going rate is to put a limited slip unit into a transmission? When I had the work on this transmission done I paid for parts and also traded a set of front and rear turbo brake calipers and front turbo spindles - probably worth about $500 and felt I was getting a good deal.
Not too sure on that. I'm the type that would DIY-it.

The tranny thing is kind of funny. The turbo guys want the R&P and 5th gear out of the S2, but the S2 guys want the 5th gear from the turbo.

Most guys end up trading 5th gears straight across because everyone is happy. I haven't quite figured out the R&P thing though.
02 Nissan Altima SE3.5
Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Spring Blowout!

There's your N/A LSD, probably for a steal even, as the case is busted. Swap the parts into your current tranny, and you are set. All you really need is the main LSD carrier.
02 Nissan Altima SE3.5
Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Will work for parts

Send a message via AIM to 944 boy
I have not measured the clutch pack to see if it is still any good. I was quoted $500 to repair it properly. It's been a greasy paperweight basically. One of the few times I got scammed off Pelican. Best bet in this case is to find a rebuilt tranny. The labor to put a diff in can sometimes run a good chunk of change.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: