Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB 944 V8 conversion kit

Looking for a used V8 conversion Kit for a 944

thanks,
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

V8

I know of a complete LT1 kit with engine that is for sale and the seller will do the conversion.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
try http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

944NA converting to LS or LT1 vs 968 engine vs other engine?

will check them out!

since it could offset some of the cost of conversion,
how much is a well running 944 NA engine worth, say with 100k miles on it?

also, just curious but is it possible to put an automatic trans on as well?

How would the option of using a 968 engine (or other porsche or other brand engine) compare.
What would be good candidate engines that easily can fit (and have significant advantages over stock 944NA) ?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Engine swaps are for people with way too much money and or time. Plenty of people will tell you have easy the swap was and how nice the results were. My favorite is a local guy that really had me going for a bit, then I asked him, so what kind of work do you do ... race car fabrication with a full shop at his disposal for projects. Yup, piece of cake.

I don't think the early 944 trans auto or stick will handle the V8 power, most people start with a turbo (plenty of cheap blown motor rollers around) or better an early 928 with an auto.

More info at, http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you want V8 power. A 968 (all be it a great engine) will not get you there. And 944 is not a good starting platform. Maybe Renagade has auto tranny for Ls1. 944 family will not be up to the job.
You can buy a 928 for for a fraction of conversion, and it will be a monster V8 auto.
If you're bent on 944's then agree Turbo rollers are a better start for suspension and brakes.
This comes from a guy who loves conversions and has paid way too much for them.
regards,
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Under the car

The 944 transmissions will handle the power. Plenty of people have 944 transmissions that are handling the power including me. plenty of people have upped there boost on the turbo 944 and their transmissions handle the power as well.

The only thing it wont handle is dumping the clutch too often or with too big of tires.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Matt,

I believe this is why Rennagade has as tranny shop afiliated in Vegas. I heard they use hardened Steal syncros in there tranny rebuilds. Not sure if they change the gears. But I've never heard anybody every doing one of these swaps on to a 944 N/A AUTOMATIC Tranny. Have you?
Sure if you baby a 5 speed with a big block you might keep it a while. Doubt more than a year. But why put in a big block if your going to baby it. I doubt Ohio would ever do any of these swaps anyway.. but if he does and keeps the stock 944 auto tranny, I would love to see the 1 year results.
May I ask Matt, what your setup is? And what your experience has been with these swaps to state your case so definatively. I'm not trying to knock it. Just learn your insight.
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the car

Jim,

I have not dealt with renegade aside from what the people on the hybrids board have told me. I dont know of any of the guys who have done the swap themselves who have had renegade rebuild their tranny.

I dont know of anyone who has put a "big block" in their car. The LS and LT engines are "small block" engines although some are putting out around 400 hp through these transmissions. Very few of the people on the hybrids board have destroyed their transmissions and the ones who have will probably tell you they were doing something they new they shouldnt be. Some are even running with the N/A boxes... I personally have a turbo box. I am not suggesting that babying it is necessary all i am suggesting is dont dump the clutch. Dumping the clutch too much with even the 2.5 liter in there can brake the transmission. At that point you are hoping you tires are the weak link.

I would not recommend any automatic to even my worst enemy. I am not speaking for the automatic in these cars... I dont think they ever should have made one of these cars with an automatic so I am not standing up for those.

I have a ford 4.6 liter DOHC in my car as I said with the turbo box. I did the conversion completely on my own. There is no kit to do it nor do I know of another one in the world like it. I personally am only at about 300 hp but hopefully that will change once I am able to tune my engine. almost all of the chevy guys are much above that.

Unless you are on a track where you have the chance to overheat the transmission torque is what kills transmissions not horse power. When you dump the clutch the transmission sees a huge spike in torque much more than what your engine or any automotive engine is rated at. That is why you can spin the tires so much easier by dumping the clutch. You are just hoping the tires break loose before the transmission whether it is with a 4 cylinder or an 8 cylinder.

Thanks you for your respectful reply and asking about my background.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you wants so great info about a V8 in a 944 need to talk to Mark Peebles Porsche club in centrel Florida. He has a 968 with a LT1 motor and ran the One Lap of America in a 944 with a V8 in it you can Email him at NO SUBT2 or call him on his cell 407496-6669.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the car

Did he run with Joe Brown in his 944? Joe has been running one lap of america with his ls1 944. I have gone and checked his out and actually driven it. He lives about an hour from me.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Smile V8

NA 944 trans will not handle the power for long and the gearing is too low. I have built several V8 conversion (I did the development on both kits for Renegade) both LT1 and LS1 and have been tracking them for over 12 years. The 951 gearbox is the best and will handle the power if don't abuse it, I have used the 968 Trans but the gearing is too narrow for the V8 power curve. Renegade does not built their own gearboxes, they use an outside vendor and most of the custom work is on 901, 915 and 930 gearboxes not 944/951/968. The 944 automatic will not live and is also geared too low. My brothers 89' 944T LS1 makes 450rwhp/430rwtq and is a dedicated track car, the 951S gearbox has had no issues in 3 years of hard track use. I have 5 years of track use on my 968 LS1 and have not had any failures of the engine or transmission. The CV joints need to be checked regularly if you do a lot of track time, it is best to safety wire the bolt so the don't come loose. If you do a conversion be prepared to upgrade the brakes and suspension to make the car safe and reliable.

Tom
Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you know how to drive and don't go slamming through gears or clashing, the n/a transmission will be just fine.

Worst case, get a 951 trans with higher gearing better suited to the increased power anyway (and it has the hardened R&P for the additional torque loads). Big deal.

Black Cars Matter
Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

V8 conversion

PM sent. I have everything..brand new Renegade kit, heavily built engine, lots of improved custom parts, with accessories and harness. All the work is done and has already been test fit. Just found out I will be a dad soon and the wife and I have 3 two-seater cars.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

V8 Parts

Looking for conversion parts too, decided to use a 4.8 with a LS1 intake to lower cost.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

There is a converted 944 for sale in the Detroit area...
http://www.waterfordhills.com/cms/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1577
Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I ran across this thread and thought i would toss my .02 in. Mark Peebles did, indeed do the One Lap with me last year and he was a great co-driver. We had a brake issue that we fixed halfway through but other than that, the car was solid. I is an 87 NA with 380hp LS1. Have upgraded the suspension, brakes and tranny and its a blast to drive. Earlier comments about the cv joints are correct. If you launch too hard, you will twist the cv joints in half- have done it. I would guess a person would need to be a decent mechanic to do the swap. I did mine completely by myself and did not have to cut or weld anything.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboy View Post
Looking for conversion parts too, decided to use a 4.8 with a LS1 intake to lower cost.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: