Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Redline Racer

Free 2.5L NA block/crank for pickup in N. VA

I have a 2.5L NA block left over from when my rod bearings melted due to the oil return holes from the cam tower getting clogged with paper towels left in there from a valve project. I haven't found the paper towels yet, but haven't really tried to flush them out, either. The cylinders are generally in good shape, but there are a couple small scratches that can be felt with a fingernail. Also, I put a small dent in one of the cylinders getting the pistons out, since I thought it wouldn't be good for anything but scrap. So it's probably pretty much only good for an over boring or sleeving project...or scrap, which is where it's going if no one has interest in it.

The crank is also free, together or separately from the block. It definitely needs the rod journals fixed, but the mains look good, due to the very rapid seizing of the rod bearings because of 0 oil flow/pressure...everything else I've seen coming out of the motor is strangely very clean, probably since there was no oil to carry bearing bits around the rest of the engine once the bearings started disintegrating. I'll probably just keep the crank for posterity if no one wants it, but the block has to leave one way or the other. I know this stuff is probably worth nothing, which is why it's free, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case someone has a use for it.

I may sell the set of pistons and rods for cheap once I determine that I don't need them and that the bearing overheating didn't affect the rods' strength. Two of the bottom ends are blue from the bearing overheating, but the rod is fine (didn't make it through the bearing shells). The pistons have just a little wear on the skirts, but not much, and the piston to bore clearance in the block seemed to be pretty good (could not slip a 0.04mm feeler guage, which is the smallest I have...normal range is 0.008-0.032 and the limit is 0.08mm). They are 9.6:1 CR pistons.

The engine had 152,000 miles on it when it died.

Located just outside of Alexandria, VA in the Washington DC area. PM if interested.

Last edited by HondaDustR; 08-08-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: