Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
price check 1983 944

Looking for a price check for 1983 944. 81k miles. Original pristine condition. Chocolate brown interior, metallic brown exterior. In dry heated storage since 2002. Paint is perfect cept for usual stuff on front valance. Interior is original cept for radio. Has 1 crack on dash at defrost vent. Everything works and after draining gas it started right up and 5 speed works flawlessly. Thanks for input, car in Northeast USA. Needs muffler and tires.
Frank
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hello, The car has been in storage for 7 years, The cam and balance belts, all rollers and water pump should all be changed before you start the car again. If the cam belt breaks you are looking at bent valves as this is an interferance engine. Time as well as mileage makes the belts brittle like tire dry rot. Most seals will need to be replaced. All new fluids to flush all systems. Time setting is a cars worst enemy. Be prepared to spend about $1100-$1200 on new parts and you do the work. If the car is a cream puff and you can do the work, go for it.
Tires alone are $400-$500. The market is really down on our 944's. I would not offer over $2000 for the car. But that is just me. I would look around for one that is running good and has plenty of maintenance documents.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Have to agree with the above. Even starting the engine is taking a huge risk if the belts are that old.

944s are not something one gets into because of value. In fact, the only real justifiable reason to own one is if you completely disregard book value. The very best of 944 specimens probably won't fetch more than $5k or $6k in this market, and you can very easily put more into one than that on modest repairs and maintenance. The economics of 944 ownership just don't make much sense.

However, if you're an irrational person and really love the cars (like me) then it's another story. If you have this thing sitting around and just want to sell it, you won't get that much. Sounds like a $1500-$2000 car. If you're in the northeast (salt, snow, rain) I'm willing to bet this car has corrosion problems too - if it does, it might be a $500 car. I'd need to know more.

I'm probably moving to the Boston area in the next couple of months. If you still have the car then I might be interested in checking it out, if for no other reason to have a parts donor.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bet you could get about $3k for it. I've seen a handful on ebay that sold for more in worse condition and locally for even higher (non pelican's usually pay more).
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Exterior color, interior condition and maintenance are huge factors when 944 buyers are looking. Not necesarily the mileage!!!
'83 944 ROW zermatt silver/black, sunroof & A/C factory deleted, houndstooth sport seats, 7Q - 220 LSD short fifth, F & R 23.3 MM 951 M030 suspension, 16" fuch's, manual windows, club sport mirrors, Blk/Wht gauges, rear seats & all sound deadening removed, 968 rear wing, fiberglass hood & 937 F bumper
Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

3-5k, need pics
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: