Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

View Poll Results: make it required to list the price in classifieds?
yes -the price should be listed every time 313 83.47%
no -listing the price should not be required 42 11.20%
i don't care, or i have other opinions 20 5.33%
Voters: 375. This poll is closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
Question VOTE: list the price policy?

there have been requests to make it required to list the price for an item for sale.

this would also apply to anyone seeking to buy an item, they should list a price they are willing to pay.

this is your chance to have your say and vote here. this vote will remain open for 10 days starting today. all votes are anonymous to the public. your vote counts!

Last edited by nize; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
I agree on for sale items, but on want to buy it should be left open. Also what if you are looking to trade?
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

+1 sellers need to list a price since this is Porsche stuff which often has crazy prices, like a set of wheels could be $500 or $5000. If people want to sell to the highest bidder, let them go to ebay. Otherwise classifieds gets filled with thinking about selling ads that never go away and nothing sells.

+1 Want to buy should have the price optional, since the buyer may be willing to accept a wide range in value of item. When I wanted to buy a number of MAF cores I posted a price of $75 shipped, since I thought it only fair to pay everybody the same, and a core is a core. My WTB 968 pistons ad has no price because condition and situations vary too much.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Requiring the majority to change in order to accommodate stupidity is always a bad idea. Listing the price is the smart thing to do. If someone doesn't list the price ignore them or shame/flame them.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I agree on "For Sale Items", but Not on "Want To Buy Items" as it should be left open whether I want to pay the price asked or not. That should be left up to buyer and seller negotiations by PM's, Not on the forum as it would remain a private matter. TeenerTim, your post is all right except for the last three word "Shame/Flame Them." This forum should not be degraded or resort to those type of words. There is not a place on this great forum for them to be posted. JMHO

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandad#3; 12-15-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The poll choices should be changed.

It does not make sense to treat Selling and Buying the same way. The obvious difference - as others have pointed out - is that a seller knows what he is selling and should be able to attach a price, but a buyer does not know what he is going to be offered, condition-wise. Hence it makes no sense to stipulate a WTB price in many cases.

Gary
Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
i list prices & always have because it's the fair thing to do. most sites seem to concur. if the number is too high (or the timing is wrong) we all know what happens. we have an avenue for auctions and everybody knows what that is. agree that pricing on WTB ads is too constricting.
my .02
jerry
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
price listed on 'for sale' threads, not necessary on 'wanted to buy' threads. IMHO.

there are enough resources through searching past sales and ebay that anyone can come up with a fair selling price. if in doubt, start high and lower if necessary. I particularily don't like the ' best offer ' approach, this is NOT ebay. nor, I think do most of us wish it to be.

this 'offers' business seems to be getting a lot worse lately. maybe a sign of fluctuating prices in uncertain economic times. an asking price is not too much to ask. anyone knows what price they would accept for an item.

just my canadian two cents worth. Don.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I'm here to cause trouble

What's the point? If there's no price, and it bugs you, don't inquire. We need fewer "rules" and more friendly guidelines.

JB
'62 Plymouth Valiant '60 Ford Galaxy 500 (RIP)
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like less rules, and just be polite. A seller should be able to choose to list a price or not depending on the situation. Of course, a listed price might get more inquiries, though.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Putting a price in a WTB ad is a terrible idea.
If jon says he would pay up to $500.00 what stops Tom from raising his initial price he wanted?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Redline Racer

The hardest part about prices is both deciding what's a fair price to offer someone for their item without a price or deciding what someone should theoretically sell you the item you are looking for, so I'd say list a price for anything posted for sale, with OBO if wanted, and sellers should just PM want ads and work out the price that way, or just post it in the thread.

The rule for required prices is pretty common in other forums, but wanted threads are not so easy that way.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well, for starters, lots of ads are posted that are just links to eBay auctions, so would they be banned?

When I price an item, I research what similar examples have recently sold for. However, there are rarely-available items that are difficult to put a price on, so they would likely be an exception.

And what about 'feeler' ads posted to get market estimates?

It seems to me there are several exceptions where listing a price on a 'for sale' item is a challenge. I don't see enough of a problem here to impose the rule.

As far as a requirement to state 'what I'd spend' on WTBs, that makes no sense to me at all.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up Fix price please...

Fix price please...

Would be better, a nicer place and much fairer for all here to be a place where fellow Porsche enthusiasts can offer other Porsche carers their surplus parts at a fair price to keep these great classics on the road now and in 50-100 years time. What you guy's all have happen here is great and in the spirit of classic motoring, people helping new people out with their classic car.

Please don't turn this into a huge profit hungry auction website like EBay for car dealers to make a fat living from by making everything into an auction were the person with the most money always wins and gets all the good parts.

Parts for my old 930 are as rare as 'rockin' horse's poo' here in Australia so most parts need to be sourced from overseas. This site is a great way for me to keep my old 1978 930 on the road.

But, perhaps do still allow posting of links to Car dismantler's websites, Ebay dealer store's or Ebay auctions listings, if people want to have auctions they can have them over at EBay.

Well...anyway, that's my 10 cents worth as a newbie.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I personally think prices should be listed, the bogus 'feeler' should be eliminated and trades should never be initiated by anyone other than the seller (ie, trades welcome...) Listing a price can help to minimize the 'I saw it first' 'I was interested before you' issue that shows up on the board from time to time. The 'Feeler' threads are bs and only serve to magnify the pricing issue further; if someone wishes to sell an item than post it with an asking price. It's that simple and will aid in unclogging the board of useless banter.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
A seller can evaluate the condition of the item they want to sell. put a picture in the ad so everyone else can see and compare to any previous for sales making it possible to post a price. I usually post a price and would encourage everyone to however I don't think it should be mandatory -

It would be very difficult to put a coherent price in a WTB ad. Lets see ...

I will only buy if it is half complete and condition is between a 3 -7 out of 10 (for a 30 year old part), X$ for a 3/10 and up to y $ for a 7/10 please not interested in any really good parts!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I also believe location is a critical component of a FS thread!

Most of these are general 'best practice' things, but if there is a guideline for folks who don't know the ropes - it should be complete.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
Post a price. Keep it simple.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Also, if *someone* places a FS ad and proposes a 'trade' they should still be required to list a price.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with the FS price list requirement, and but not with a requirement to list when buying. This keeps it open to allow offers and negotiations, which are harder to implement from the buy-side than the seller's side. A seller can go high on a listed price and haggle down, but if a buyer makes a lowball offer in a WTB thread they will turn away too many replies, while going higher could lead to them getting ripped off or not getting as good of a deal as they could through negotiating.

My $0.02 anyways.

155k miles
Boost controller @16 psi, Dual port wastegate, Autothority Stage 2, Spec Stage 3 clutch. 291/297 whp/tq
Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: