Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
WTB 951 block

After pulling the head on an 87 project I picked up (blown head gasket), the dreaded scored cylinder appeared. So, I am looking for a block (preferrably an 87).
Must have no scoring or VERY minimal. Pics would be great and price of course. Would consider complete engine also.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Ken - sorry I haven't gotten back with you already. I have a complete running turbo engine with about 150k on it that I just pulled. It is an 86 motor though. Looking for $1500.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the car

Are there differences between the turbo and non turbo block? I knew the internals were different but I thought the blocks were the same.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yes there are differences. I am told if you use an NA block it will blow and fast.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Ken,
Block and crank are actually identical between the turbo and NA. Only small difference is the top balance shaft cover is tapped for an oill line to the turbo.

The difference for compression is that the rods and pistons are not the same. You could pick up a NA block and then tap the balance shaft cover and install the rods and pistons from your turbo. The only thing that you would need to match up is the tolerence group from your current block/pistons to the new block.

That #4 piston might be scarred up too in addition to the cylinder.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Rumors of n/a blocks and components being somehow weak are an old wife's tale. Who told you that? They don't know what they're talking about. They are absolutely identical with the exception of the oil feed tap in the upper balance shaft housing as Josh correctly stated.

There is actually a huge advantage to using an n/a block & crank for a turbo application also - and that's that they have not been subjected to the kinds of stresses and heat cycling that a comparable mileage turbo engine has. If you're to do this, I'd consider transplanting the turbo head over since it has sodium-filled exhaust valves and ceramic-lined exhaust ports which are more able to withstand the higher EGTs of the turbo.

Don't believe everything people tell you. A lot of them don't know WTF they're talking about.

I personally have seen an n/a engine (with n/a internals, not other modifications) dropped directly into a 951, the upper BS housing tapped and run reliably. The only caveat was a blend of high octane gas and race gas was required to prevent detonation due to the higher c/r.

The 944 n/a engines are absolutely fine.

Black Cars Matter
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well thanks for the clarification guys. I certainly do not claim to be an expert on any of this. At any rate, back to the subject at hand. I need a turbo block. I don't care to tap this and that and hope that it will work. At least not at this point in the project.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
FYI you should be able to have your block re-honed for not that much $$$. Just make sure to take it to someone who has equipment specifically for Alusil bores, not just some run-of-the-mill redneck machine shop that does Chevy small blocks.

You may need oversize pistons but even the cost of those two items and rings will probably run you less than the cost of a non-piece-of-crap, non-abused 951 engine (plus shipping/freight costs). Something to consider.

There are a lot of people who claim to "know" 944s who talk out their arses. This board is pretty good/reputatble overall but there are others out there which are loaded with people who really don't know or understand these things and who will do nothing but steer you in the wrong direction by promulgating myths and false information rather than contributing meaningful content.

Consider your sources.

Black Cars Matter
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
"There are a lot of people who claim to "know" 944s who talk out their arses. This board is pretty " good/reputable overall but there are others out there which are loaded with people who really don't know or understand these things and who will do nothing but steer you in the wrong direction by promulgating myths and false information rather than contributing meaningful content.

Consider your sources.

WELL SAID ,

MR O PHILE

Last edited by dp951; 09-03-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
NO offense intended here guys, but if I wanted to have all this discussion I would have posted in the BBS section, not in the Parts section.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A GOOD USED 951 SHORTBLOCK???????
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
951 block

Short block $1200
Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi Ken - just cracked my motor open and emailed you a bunch of pics of the bores.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have a complete motor for sale if you are interested.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
PM sent to dp 951 and zeusrotty
Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a longblock 951 for $1200.00 located in florida
Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: