Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Major Oil Leak! Help Please! ASAP!

I have a major oil leak. I thought it was the main seal so i changed it out but changing the seal did not do the trick. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is in the wrong section (parts for sale) you want this to be in the regular 944 forum where more people can help you.

Where is the leak? Is it in the front of the engine? There is a possibility that you oil pump drive-gear could be worn and oil leaks from there.

1989 Porsche 944 S2 - Guards Red - Rebuilt engine, LSD Trans, M030 goodies

1986 Mercedes 420SEL - Poo Brown - Bought it from a grandpa with 75k miles
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How major are you talking about? what is the diameter of the dripped oil say overnight?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It spills a stream of oil when the car is running. And sorry about the wrong thread area...
Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

From where is this happening? How is your oil pump drive sleeve doing?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Go to your local auto parts store and purchase a tiny bottle of this special dye in which you pour in your oil and run till warm! Then you go get a blacklight bulb at the hardware store or wherever you can and use it in your shop light in low light and go around under your car to find the spot! It shows up nice and bright right were the fresh oil is coming out very easy to find out 100% for sure!

If I had to guess where it was coming out not knowing nothing about your car or miles I would say its these 3 areas:

Oil pan gasket on exhaust header side in rear corner
Rear main seal which you have to remove clutch and flywheel in order to get too
Rear balance shaft cover O-rings
'83 944 ROW zermatt silver/black, sunroof & A/C factory deleted, houndstooth sport seats, 7Q - 220 LSD short fifth, F & R 23.3 MM 951 M030 suspension, 16" fuch's, manual windows, club sport mirrors, Blk/Wht gauges, rear seats & all sound deadening removed, 968 rear wing, fiberglass hood & 937 F bumper
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Check your oil filter housing. (take the tray off the bottom) so you can really see from what area its coming from.
make sure the oil filter is tight
cooler hoses, maybe.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This thread is hilarious. How vague can you get? For all we know, the oil leak could be coming from transmission main shaft seal

It's like asking "my engine makes a loud noise, what do you guys think?"
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: