Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to deekay911 Send a message via Skype™ to deekay911
968 Plastic Engine Undertray

I have a 1995 968 Plastic Engine undertray for sale, with hardware. $50 plus shipping.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
PM sent
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
968 under tray

PMM sent
Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in same town and been trying to buy this for a week with more than one PM - can't get a response.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay911 View Post
I have a 1995 968 Plastic Engine undertray for sale, with hardware. $50 plus shipping.
Ahh, the infamous "batwing"!

Or is it not the same as the one that runs under the 944T?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Smile Batwing????

Please refer to this thread.....and quote.....I was corrected and never use the term "batwing" now.

"were do people come up with these names ? if you ever called porsche part and asked for some thing like a bat wing they would tell you to call the bat cave ! that part is called a lower bumper cover ! the thing that is under the motor is called a splash shield . the pieces of plastic that are inside the fenders are called fender liners or skirts . all splash shields on the 944 body cars have some kind of cut outs . the reason there there is to cause a vacuum . as the air passes under the car and across the splash shield it causes a vacuum and pulls air thru the radiator ."

Under tray options?

1986 - 951 Stock with 56K miles as of 03.21.2011
2009 - MB C300 Sport AMG - DD
WWW.SaturdayMorningCars.Com - Founder
Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

All Spooled Up

[QUOTE=951 Scott;5951146]

"were do people come up with these names ? if you ever called porsche part and asked for some thing like a bat wing they would tell you to call the bat cave ! that part is called a lower bumper cover ! the thing that is under the motor is called a splash shield . the pieces of plastic that are inside the fenders are called fender liners or skirts . all splash shields on the 944 body cars have some kind of cut outs . the reason there there is to cause a vacuum . as the air passes under the car and across the splash shield it causes a vacuum and pulls air thru the radiator ."[QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about the others, but I first saw the term used on THIS very site, and it wasn't actually all that long ago. But I will wager a guess that those who did come up with it did so by examining the shape of it (of the 944 turbo ones anyways), and concluding that it looked very similar in appearance to the spread out wings of a bat (or is it the bat "signal" that it so closely resembles?). But I do agree that it is 100% PURE slang, and in some situations, it's use should probably be avoided. But on a car forum such as this, I don't see the problem. There are also 2 other panels under the engine (on a 944 turbo). I simply call them the "underpanels". But only 1 of them is shaped like a bat wing, so that does kinda helps describe which one you are referring to. That's all I am going to say on this subject.

Oh, and the panels don't really need to be there to get "cooling vacuum" for the engine - it will run cool without them. The reason they are there is to maintain the laminarity of the air that is flowing under the car - same reason that lower spoilers are used.

EDIT: Before I get reamed, let me state that I was referring to the lower REAR spoiler, in particular. The lower front spoiler is in deed there for creating vacuum underneath the car. But NOT for engine cooling purposes. It is to counteract the "lift" that is created by the upper surface of the car.

Last edited by wild man; 04-08-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: