Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

reference sensor wiring

I 'm hoping someone can tell me how to tell which female connector coming out of the harness is for the reference sensor and which is for the speed sensor?I know these usually have tags on the wires,my tags are missing.Also can damage result if the male end is plugged in 180 out,to either female,this is a possibility since the males are almost gone
Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

P S this sensor question is for a 1984 944 2.5 ltr,Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

here is a link may help

Speed and Reference Sensors - Checking, Replacement, and Adjustment

Last edited by hataskrau; 03-20-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I can see the wire colors on the male and female ends,I assumed that the bare wire on the male is supposed to be connected to the brown wire on the female side (drain)If this is right then I should be able to just swap connectors and get it to start, but this hasn't worked.I'm wondering if in our experimenting we could have damaged the DME?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Also I should add that after we reinstalled the bell housing I discovered a heavy guage brown wire with a ring terminal on the end that looks like a ground,it wasn't connected to anything so I'm not sure where it goes.It doesn't fit the bolt that secures the bell housing ground strap and a heavy brown wire to the fire wall and I should also mention that although the male connectors are trashed the male connector tabs stayed in order ie;black,yellow,bare from right to left on both.Oddly in the picture in the link above the same brown wire can be seen to the right of the sensor bracket and its lying there disconnected?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

here is a pic of where i think that wire goes

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/zermattphotos/Porsche%20Forums/951%20Re-assembly%202011/7775a375.jpg
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

mystery wire

Thanks for the help,I'll ground that wire as shown tomorrow.My starting problem may have been too large of a gap between sensors and flywheel,hopefully nothings toasted from our experimenting with the sensor plugs,I managed to temporarily preserve the male ends of the sensor connectors with hi temp hot glue,hokey but it seems pretty solid.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wrap the male end with electrical tape to make sure it stays together.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Simple, Quick and Easy Fix... Yup!

For $90 bucks you can get a jumper harness from Linsey Racing... why are you going to so much trouble for nothing... you need a new by pass jumper harnes!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: