Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

Poll: What is your interest?
Poll Options
What is your interest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FEELER: Recovered Dash Boards

I'm posting to try and gauge the interest in recovered dash boards. I've done a few of them, and they've turned out really well. I was thinking about offering them at a price point of $350- $400.

This would include:

Repairing the dash
New foam overlay
Recovering it in vinyl (Leather would be a bit more)
An Aluminum defrost vent panel

This design is done without having to use any visible seams so it looks completely factory minus the defrost vent panel.

This price point is quite a bit lower what I've seen on the market. This would be for non-airbag late dash boards only. Airbag dashes would be in the $400-$450 range.

I've also done a couple early style dashes, but they are quite a bit more involved and would be more expensive. I'm thinking they could be offered around $500-$600. That would be done in leather, as it is a better material for the dash's shape.

I've got a few cores laying around, so I figure I could sell them with $150 core charge so that there would be very little turn around time. Or you could ship me your dash from the beginning to forgo the core charge, but turn around time would be about a week.

I just got done doing one for a board member (klaus), he is picking his up tomorrow so hopefully he can post on the quality. I'll be posting pictures of them in the near future.

Last edited by ssschaib; 05-11-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rocket Surgeon

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Pettybird
where are you located?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, thought I had location in my profile. Charlotte, NC
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Not only would I buy a dash from Spencer, I did. Picking the car up today and will post pictures.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
klaus told me about you. My concern would be how will they hold up to sun exposure.
Any data on that? What sort of warranty? I would send one if they are guaranteed.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Any discount for other people named Spencer?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It will be a better material than what the factory used. It has the ability to expand and contract. But if you leave any material out in the sun for years upon years with no maintenance, it is going to crack eventually. The only "data" I have on this is my dash which I did 2 years ago. It's still supple and flexible with no shrinkage. My dad, which the person recovering the dashes with me has done this for a long time. He offered up the example of when he recovered his GTO dash in the same material we are using and 20 years later it was still in great condition.

As far as warranty, the only warranty would be against damage during shipping. So basically, buy at your own risk. Now if you get the dash in and you feel that it is total garbage and that I do crappy work and are just completely unhappy, I would be happy to work with the buyer to make sure that they are satisfied. I don't see that situation arising often, if ever though.

I hope this answers your questions. We don't do this for a living, and as such do not have the "data" or warranty that a JustDashes would have. I do, however, believe that we can offer the community a good quality product at a price point that is much lower than anything else on the market. Hopefully klaus will post some pics here soon, if not, I'll have some Monday night.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Anybody named Spencer can get a $5 discount! If your last name is Schaible, I must kill you though... THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I've got some pics of my early style dash on my comp, figured I'd up load them.

I eliminated the center speaker by fiberglassing over the hole (this can be done on your dash if you want me to). The vent panel isn't the greatest on this one. I did it by hand, this was before I found a local machine shop that can do them. My dash was in pretty rough shape, so it took quite a bit of work to get it in useable condition. The next early style dash I recover, I would use a thinner vinyl or calf skin since the curves that it has to make are pretty severe and the thick vinyl (stuff I use on the late style dashes) is really hard to work.

Last edited by ssschaib; 05-12-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Can you do suede???

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I can do any material.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That is a great price. I go a recover that was self installed that cost about that much.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rocket Surgeon

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Pettybird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Can you do suede???

did you ask this because it rhymes with "trades?"
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
77 924..clinton twp. mi.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettybird View Post
lol
Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I think I want one but not to wild about the price. (but I think anyone likes to spend money lol)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I think I want one but not to wild about the price. (but I think anyone likes to spend money lol)
My girl would beg to differ.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettybird View Post
I want to have a 914, 911SC dash covered in sued, hadn't even thought about the dash for my 924S until I saw this post and of course I would like to be able to trade

Quote:
My girl would beg to differ.
I think he meant their own money, girls are great at spending our money one reason (besides the fack that I have so much stuff) that I'm always looking to trade..

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I think he meant their own money, girls are great at spending our money one reason (besides the fack that I have so much stuff) that I'm always looking to trade..
what about trading our girls for a new dash?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
what about trading our girls for a new dash?
We don't want to create any enemies now do we....

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
We don't want to create any enemies now do we....
Dash or girlfriend...which will look better in another 27 years?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: