Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB: Lower crankcase for 944 turbo

Hi everyone,

I have a rebuilt 2.8l stroker motor that has had a big oil leak around the rear main seal that I've been chasing for most the summer. I finally got fed up and just yanked the motor again, and found that the lower crankcase has a pretty decent chunk out of it. I'm taking it to my mechanic tomorrow and he usually has one of everything in his attic, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has a lower crankcase kicking around that they'd be interested in selling in case he doesn't?

Thanks folks, appreciate it. I'm at least glad that I found an obvious problem and that the engine would have had to be pulled anyway, and am looking forward to getting it all back together again and finally getting to break in and drive the stroker motor!!

Thanks everyone,

Ryan
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Ryan, are you just looking for a block/girdle/balance shaft setup?

Just trying to help clarify what you are looking for.

AFAIK the NA and Turbo blocks are the same, even though they are stamped differently.

Good luck, Keith
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Yep, I've done that!

Garage
Also if you talking about swapping the girdle from one block to another, they are machined together and I would not risk that. You could weld and machine your block?
86' 944 SPEC Car 'In Process' 2013 Debut
Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies Keith and Joe. Yes, I was just talking about swapping the girdle. The recess in the girdle right below the rear main seal appears to have been overly beat on and is right where the leak is coming from. The shop I'm dealing with (which is different from the machine shop that build the bottom end) is very familiar with these engines and will steer me right.

Joe, I like the idea of welding to bring the girdle back to spec, I hadn't considered that. I'll see what the shop says and take it from there.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Ryan,
Joeblow is correct. They are a matched set. I had to mix them and was successful, but it takes a machine shop that REALLY knows what they are doing.

Where is the world, or at least, in the US are you?

Shipping cost is a big variable. I either have one or can find one in San Diego, but if you are on the east coast, it is not worth spending time on.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Chuck, I'm up in Victoria, BC, Canada, just north of Seattle.

I'll see what the shop says and be back in touch if needed.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: