Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Strut Insert Replacement

I picked up some strut inserts for a street car I am fixing up. The struts has the threaded cap so I assumed they could be rebuilt. I spun off the cap but can not get the insert out. Am I missing something?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The cartridge should slide right out unless the housing is bent or full of rust. Try putting the nut on the end of the shaft, tighten in a vise and give the housing a few shots with a hammer.

I had one that had a slight bend from a track incident and it would not come out.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
In addition to Jim's comment, the ring at the top near the threads is a compression ring to keep the insert tight. If the nut was over tightened, the ring will need some persuasion to get it out. Once you do, it should slide out with only a little bit of force. There is often some oil in there for heat transfer.

Best of Luck with it!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did a set on an E30 BMW that had to have the top nuts cut off because of rust and the struts came out in pieces. It took some time and a LOT of persuasion, but once they were out and cleaned up they went back together like new. If they getting replaced, I'd clamp the strut piston in a vise and tap the housing with a hammer. It should come out, eventually.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Yep, I've done that!

Garage
Place the strut into a large bench vise.

Place a large slide hammer over the threaded end of the insert with the nut securing it.

Slide hammer it out. Worked every time for me, bent, rusted, glued etc. A 10# slide hammer puts a lot of load on everything and will work it out.
86' 944 SPEC Car 'In Process' 2013 Debut
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: