Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB: 944 NA Oil Pressure relief valve

I'm looking for a good working 944 NA oil pressure relief valve. The problem is that when the engine is cold and I try to start the car, all the oil will blow pass the oil filter seal and it ends up all over the floor. I believe that my oil pressure relief valve is no good anymore.

Anyone have one that's good priced?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You should probably post the year of the 944 and the type (1 or 3 piece) of OPRV you are looking for.

I have a few 1-piece at home, but think they are late style. Early 1-piece OPRV's are a little hard to find as they were retrofitted to replace the 3-piece. I'll check and get back to you.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My car is 1986. I'm not sure which type I need. I haven't taking it apart yet to look at it.

Please let me know.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have one that I will let you have for $30 shipped, but my guess is that the oil cooler is out of alignment and jamming the piston. The relief valve is a very simple device and there is not much to fail. There is an external o-ring on the tip and an internal o-ring that is accessed by pulling the unit apart. There is an alignment tool that should be used when tightening the oil cooler case to the block. If the case is out of alignment with the bore in the block, it will prevent the relief valve from opening.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Maybe that could be it. I'm going to be replacing the oil cooler housing from the NA to the turbo anyways, do I use the same alignment tool to install the turbo oil cooler housing?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Updated: It looks like I will need a good used OPRV. Does anyone one a 1 piece valve?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Given your symptoms, I'll bet you have the early 3-piece OPRV and it's misaligned. Try using the right alignment tool and remount the oil cooler.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: