Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Microsquirt v3.0

I bought this a few months ago because I've been planning to fab up a supercharger system for my 944. My wife and I have decided to buy a new house and that means we have to free up some money and the Porsche is the first to go...

The microsquirt is soldered into an old DME for plug and play operation, and comes with the map sensor, tuning cable, and intake air temp sensor. Shoot me an email if interested. $315 shipped in the continental US.

Tom
thomasmpope@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very tempting.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I see you said it comes with a MAP sensor, does it also come with a MAF sensor to replace the factory AFM and the trigger wheel for the ignition? What about base maps to get the thing driveable to a dyno to tune it? I'm pretty interested in this. How does this compare to megasquirt? Do you use the factory KLR in conjunction with this?

Last edited by dougs951s; 10-12-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Microsquirt is the small footprint version of megasquirt- it just happens to support dual ignition triggers natively which makes the speed and reference sensor setup easier to use. No trigger wheel needed. A lot of development has already been done:

944 MicroSquirt Plug and Play Project

The beauty of standalone is that you dont need MAF. This is the entire ecu, no klr needed and I do have some very basic maps. Extra code can control boost, ignition, water injection, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very cool stuff. It CAN control a maf though, right? I mean, it cant run on JUST a map sensor, or does it? My interest in this is because I have a highly worked over AFM in my 951 and I'm making ~375 rwhp and I'm totally maxing out the physical flow capabilities of the AFM. So this supports factory ignition with the S&R sensors and factory ignition coil? Very cool! Isnt the KLR box still needed because the ignition signal is sent through the KLR pins 16 and 9 from the DME, and so with the DME replaced with a standalone box, would it still start without the KLR wiring to complete the circuit? Or does this setup come with a harness which makes the KLR and it's wiring unneeded? I'm VERY interested in this setup. This is totally plug and play and the base maps provided will start the car and allow it to drive? If you can answer these questions for me so I can get an idea how this setup works I'll paypal you the money and provide my shipping information.

Thanks.

Last edited by dougs951s; 10-12-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its currently wired for an NA 944, but it would only take a couple wires to make it 951 friendly. You could easily drop the KLR if you wanted and you would definitely drop the MAF. There's no reason to have the AFM or maf in there as speed-density tuning works beautifully and doesn't require any junk in your intake track. The great thing about Microsquirt & Megasquirt is that they will run just about any fuel system and any ignition system that you could dream up. With the power you're making I would run a GM 3 Bar MAP sensor (I'm including a 1 bar for the above price, but I could throw one of my spare 3 bar sensors in for about $50) and convert the car over to coil on plug for a better spark. The maps I have would get the car started on the stock parts, but are setup for an NA so they wouldn't do you any good once you cross 1 bar absolute.

It would take a bit of work to get your car running and dialed in, but you would have the foundation of all the power you could ever make.

Last edited by 944noob; 10-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: misread another post
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The 951 and n/a are both 35 pin ECU so I'm pretty sure it would snap into the connector in my 951. Rewiring it isnt a big deal. I have a schematic of the 951 DME and a list of all the functions of each pin on the n/a DME. Can the microsquirt control overboost and does it support knock control? If so it'd be really easy to just remove the KLR. Can it control an idler valve via pulse width modulation? Sorry for all the questions, I've never owned a stand alone powered car. Just a few more. It CAN support a MAF if I so desired right? I know with speed-density it relies on a VE table and a MAP signal to derive air mass. Does that imply that any change that alters VE like a new intake or exhaust would require a retune on a dyno? Is there software out there to datalog/tune it myself?

Last edited by dougs951s; 10-12-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only wiring changes that I know of would be adding wiring for the 951's real tps sensor (VERY esay) and then rewiring a bit of your harness so that everything is headed into the microsquirt rather than the KLR. Microsquirt can natively control an on/off idle valve via PWM and run a knock sensor. There are two spare ports that can run pretty much anything up to about 4 volts. So I would configure one to switch a relay for fans and the other for a boost control solenoid.

If you really want a MAF you would have to give up one of the things above, but I can't think of any reason to put a maf on the car. The VE is very robust, offers a lot of flexibility in packaging, and eliminates restrictions on the intake side. Changes to the VE will need to be tuned for if you want to take advantage of them, but the software packages out there can basically tune themselves. I had great luck building a base map and then letting Tunerstudio autotune with my wideband. The car ran like it came off the factory and would smoke tires in 5th gear at 70 miles an hour. The microsquirt also has the ability (when it has O2 signals) to adjust for a target A/F without actually changing the map. It does this on the fly when configured to. It can also target A/F and change the base map as well - this can result in a very very nice base map that will eventually not need any targeting. There are about a dozen tuning software packages. MegaTune is solid, but the UI is dated and not very "dash" friendly. Tunerstudio offers a beautiful UI, some more advanced tuning features, and can be used as a fully configurable dashboard. I ran a 7" tablet in my mazda as a live dash from tunerstudio which saved me a fortune on gauges and allowed me to tune and datalog every time I drove the car. I'll get some pics headed your way later today.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I sent you a pm and an email Tom
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: