Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FS: 951/S2/968/928S4 MO30 Black Brembos - $600

Greetings all,

Some of you probably recognize my name from the RL forums. I don't use those forums enough anymore, thus not justifying a paid membership. Unfortunately this means I cannot utilize the classifieds sections...so here I am!

For sale, I have a full Brembo brake set up off of an '88 951S Rose. This stuff has been kicking around my garage for quite some time while I tried to decide whether or not it was really a necessary upgrade for my '87 S. I finally decided that since I'm not making tremendous power, and likely won't be for a long time, I'd forgo the opportunity and pass it along to someone else who actually needs big brakes.

For those who are unfamiliar: Turbos, S2s and 968s optioned with the MO30 package were equipped with this brake set up. It originally came from the 928S4. The 951S in '88 and all turbos '89+ (feel free to correct me on the '89+ part) were by default equipped with the MO30 package (and furthermore, these brakes). These ARE an upgrade over "regular" turbo brakes.

These are not to be confused with "Big Blacks" which were found on the 928GTS. Big Blacks for the most part look the same, but have slightly larger piston diameter and caliper tweaks to accommodate that.

So, down to the nitty gritty: What I have for sale in short is spindles (with sensors), front hubs, all 4 rotors, front calipers (with sensors), rear calipers (with sensors) and the hard lines coming off of the front two calipers.

Unfortunately there were complications when these brakes came into my possession... For this reason I never got the front TS hubs. For whatever reason, instead of using more shallow front rotors, Porsche instead used a hub that is 3mm thicker to accommodate these particular front calipers.

What I ended up doing was sourcing some 3mm aluminum wheel spacers, and machining them down on a lathe in order to allow them to fit inside the brake rotor. It isn't an interference fit, but the tolerances for both spacers are pretty tight when placed inside the rotors, which I'm very happy with. The idea was inspired by how these brakes were run on early '87 Turbo Cup cars. They were actually set up with a 3mm spacer on regular turbo hubs as well and did fine that way. Once mass manufacturing of the TS hubs went into effect they were obviously upgraded, but I figured if it was a hack good enough for Porsche Engineers themselves, it'd likely work for me too.

Otherwise, everything else is about how you'd expect it. The calipers are functional, but the clear coat on them is showing its age. They would be good candidates for a media blast and powder coat (if looks are what you're into). The piston seals as far as I know are good.

The front and rear rotors most definitely still have life in them. I would suggest having the rear rotors spun, since ware and tear have caused a small raised ring around the edge of them. The front rotors are the non drilled, non slotted type, while the rears are both drilled and slotted.

The pads look healthy all around, though I'm not sure of compound details.

The spindles are in good shape and will have a couple sets of bearing hardware (the front clamping nut + washer) included.

I'll throw in bearings, but they're definitely spent. I put them all together just to make sure that the 3mm spacer solution worked.

There is, however, one bad spot in this whole set up. I believe one of the hubs is warped. Watching the rotor go through the caliper you can visually see a very slight hop. I haven't yet determined whether its the rotor or the hub causing this. Either way, neither a turbo rotor nor a turbo hub is that challenging or costly to get a hold of.

In the FWIW category: All this stuff came off of a sub 110k mile car that got upgraded to 993T brakes. I took a couple rides in it back when it had it's stock brakes. Everything worked and felt good! I bought new front caliper mounting hardware and also replaced the rotor retaining bolts with longer high grade allen bolts to work with the 3mm spacer. The spacer is the kind that is drilled with 10 lug holes instead of 5, so no drilling was done to make the retainer bolts work. I bolted one of my Club Sport wheels onto an assembled spindle/rotor/hub with spacer combo with some open faced steel lugs I got from Lindsey racing. Thread engagement came to about the face of the lug which I was also very pleased with.

With turbo front struts, these would be a fabulous upgrade for any late suspension car. These would also be a nice upgrade for any non MO30 car that needs that extra stopping power.

There aren't very many of these set ups floating around so value is unclear. I think that due to the finish of the calipers and the hub situation my price will be $600 not including any shipping.

I'll send these anywhere as long as you're willing to pay for it and I don't lose money on shipping charges. Shipping will likely be expensive though, so a somewhat local sale might not be a bad thing. I'm located in the PNW!

Check out some pictures!

If you have any questions or want any more pictures/info, drop me a post in this thread of shoot me an email to lonchman@gmail.com. Thanks!

Last edited by 16valver; 09-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Price drop
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump - Price change! Much more reasonable.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Emailed

1986 Porsche 944 3.0L 16V Conversion - on track duty!
1989 Porsche 944 $2 - for fun!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sold
Old 09-21-2014, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
928 , big brake kit , brakes , brembo , mo30