Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
grateful user

Garage
944 torque tube noise

Hey guys, not a 944 owner and know very little about them. Problem: friend has a very clean 87 944 with noises coming from the drive line. Her tech informed her she needed new torque tube bearings. Turns out its not a cheap job. Can I find a good used torque tube and just replace?? How do you guys go about this repair.
fully disassembled, blasted, customized and restored 75 targa with factory hard top, 993 style turbo ft fenders, steel flares, C2 bumpers and rockers, 82 3.0 sc 9.5/1 engine with PMS flywheel, 964 cams, flowed heads, ssi's short geared 915 w/lsd, polybronze, bilstein,working lambda, modified and highly tuned cis, tensioners, pop valve, backdated exhaust and heater, 2300 lbs. no bolt left untouched. 1970 911E. Nice car but needs a re-do.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The original design is pretty good. Most are still going after 25 years + but just about all of them are now tired and noisy. The T tube gets very hot and over the years the grease in the bearings migrates out and the bearing wear and get noisy .... very few actually give up. Pic below of bearing with grease migrated ... what you see is just the filler from the grease.

Black Sea do a very solid but pricey super bearing kit and there are some DIY fixes that you can find by searching Torque Tube bearing on the forums. I've done quite a few of these now, and the typical DIY solution is not great. Delrin is not technically the right material to use for the inner sleeve and most off the shelf bearings are not of the correct spec. Porsche moved to C5 clearance and HT grease spec for the later cars and this is what you need if you want to get the same performance and longevity as stock. I get these made on special order but there is a minimum order quantity and not cheap. If you want a solution that runs for a couple of years of normal use then delrin sleeves and C3 std spec bearings might work but it is not quick job and in my view not one that you want to redo.

I've been working on a kit with properly specified high density rubber sleeves sleeves and carriers and bearings that exceed original specification but these are on test on a few cars at the moment (incl a race car) and I'm not in a position to offer them until I review them after some sensible mileage.

In the meanwhile your best option is to take the plunge and buy a Super Bearing kit.

There are a few used tubes out there but I've never seen one in great condition and swapping them over is not a 2 minute job ... if you have the TT out it is a good time to get it properly overhauled.

Hope this helps. Sorry not able to recommend a simple fix.

Last edited by beamishnz; 06-22-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
grateful user

Garage
Looks like she is going to be spending some bucks.
fully disassembled, blasted, customized and restored 75 targa with factory hard top, 993 style turbo ft fenders, steel flares, C2 bumpers and rockers, 82 3.0 sc 9.5/1 engine with PMS flywheel, 964 cams, flowed heads, ssi's short geared 915 w/lsd, polybronze, bilstein,working lambda, modified and highly tuned cis, tensioners, pop valve, backdated exhaust and heater, 2300 lbs. no bolt left untouched. 1970 911E. Nice car but needs a re-do.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: