Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

968 LSD Question

Bought a car with the 220 LSD Option

Have several people interested in the trans

Car had 46,000 miles on it. Has been sitting 20years

What is the approximate value of the 6 speed with LSD

Thanks John
Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have seen them listed between $1800 and $2999.

1986 Porsche 944 3.0L 16V Conversion - on track duty!
1989 Porsche 944 $2 - for fun!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dimi... is correct... in my humble opinion a stock OEM 968 - 6-Speed (LSD) (Torsen 40%) is just about the best street / track DE transaxle that Porsche made for the 968. With this transaxle with only 46K miles it's just getting broke in now... if it has only highway miles on it. It should fetch $2500 with out breaking a sweat.
Ron...
Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
All good comments and I'm in full agreement on the Torsen unit BUT, what year is the car? A '92 is a ZF and not a Torsen, and IMHO a Torsen is preferred.

Also the '92 and '93 are most prone to a pinion failure. My '93 has already been repaired and my '92 with ZF 220 has the issue now. So what year is the car and /or is it a year prone to failure, has the pinion bearing ever been done, how soon will it need to be done and/or will it EVER need to be done??

Since the poster has asked and RRR mentioned Torsen, I value a '94 or '95 Torsen as more valuable than any ZF or any '93 box with an unknown pinion bearing history. Again, just MHO

Last edited by chudson; 08-17-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
ZF blows torsen away in feel and grip around the track
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ZF... does have the respect of the RACE comunity... YES"!

Hi Commdriver...

Good insights & comments... good hearing from u... hope all is well with your racing program... out in beautiful mid CA.

I respect that ZF comment... yes... I agree - (feel and grip) ("For a short while... (For Track Duty Use Only") - until u have to rebuild it over and over again. The G30 Torsen is about the best all around transaxle u can use for daily driver and mild DE uses... IMHO. And... Yes it (Torsen) will let the 40% LSD spin with out traction when a rear wheel leaves contact with the pavement. I really do think the 40% LSD Torsen is still the best for all around performance and low maintenance $ costs... if taken care of with (Reg. Fluid Changes / Seals) . The only other solution is to buy and early Audi (60-80%?) Locker or 60% LSD.... or spend 2K on a (welded up) Torsen / ZF 100% locker LSD in all (3) case's the ring / pinion and bearing, will still not be able to hold the (HP/Touq.) loading and will break or go bad very quickly in (4 - 6) (Enduro) Long Races - (over 2- 4 Hr's each) under full racing conditions.

A moderate (B-C) driver in a DE of 25 min's a session... for 2 day event with not hurt the Torsen 40% LSD... unless he hits every bump apex and bounce the rear tires off the ground like in NASCAR Road Racing. I still think the low mileage Torsen 40% LSD here in (this post)?... how much is it worth?... & what $ will it bring... only time will tell?... but in MHO... they are only going to get more and more expensive and rarer & rarer... (HARDER TO FIND)... with low mileage & highway miles only!!!! In 3 - 4 years they will be fetching $3 - $3.5K... if u will be able to find them with under 50K miles on the highway clock only???

Just for the record if I were to (Full Race) a (Turbo 3.2 LT. / 2.7 LT Head - in a 968)... I personally... would (ONLY") use a 5 speed (AOR) (LSD) 89-S Turbo - Transaxle in said car and sell the ZF or Torsen 6-Speed - Transaxle and run (any track) in USA in 4th & 5th gears)... it alone would last 3-4 times longer (with out a major rebuild) at full race conditions for 1/2 the $, rebuild / pain & heart break... "Hotel"... that a ZF / Torsen will cost you in the long run in a 968 Full Race Car!!!

Back in the "DAY" we all cheated... when was the last time any of u racers at a Porsche Race Event... did anyone driving get their car (968's) Tec. Inspected for having the proper Transaxle installed...???????????..... (HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM)? Just make sure u leave the 968 Shift Handle in the car with the 6-Speed Button on it... with that (AOR) (5 - Speed Transaxle)... installed!

SIR: "Gene"... (great GUY) (& friend) and dedication to his 968 in pristine race mods) in Lake Norman, NC... I think has a ZF in a unbelievable ("SLEEPER)... 3.2 968 Full Blown (Turbo) Race / Street Car... engine by Broadfoot Racing... god only knows how much HP/Touq. We will soon see how long his ZF holds up? He is very close now to having it running and driving.

Ron...]

Last edited by RRRacing1970; 08-19-2016 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Wording
Old 08-19-2016, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I thought 968gene's build pics showed a Torsen diff in his box....?
Old 08-20-2016, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: