Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Collapsible Intermediate (steering) shaft, Interested?

I'm fabing up a collapsible steering shaft for my S2. I've forgot to attach it or needed to index it a few times so I figure it will be easier if I update the shaft itself.

Does anyone else have enough interest that I should build a batch rather than just one for myself?

My guess is to make it worth my time they will cost about $250.

Last edited by olin83; 01-12-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - if you're going to be selling a used part on site, please don't forget to include a photo, price, and location. If you ultimately decide to start producing parts, please know that you cannot sell them in the forum. If you have an interest in us caring them down the line, please shoot me a message and I'll give you the details for consideration.

Thanks,
Dmitry
Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Interesting...for what reason(s) do you want to make it collapsible?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
Interesting...for what reason(s) do you want to make it collapsible?
no need to drop the rack or cross member to index the wheel to 12 o clock when you are off by a spline on reassembly or forgot to hook it up when doing a service. Also makes it easier to drop the cross member since you can disconnect the spline before dropping it eliminating the bind you usually get.

Basically easier & faster service
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Hello - if you're going to be selling a used part on site, please don't forget to include a photo, price, and location. If you ultimately decide to start producing parts, please know that you cannot sell them in the forum. If you have an interest in us caring them down the line, please shoot me a message and I'll give you the details for consideration.

Thanks,
Dmitry
Hi Dmitry,

This a used steering shaft just modified. If that is against forum rules I have no issue selling through Pelican if there is interest.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cool idea.
You might be better served by buying one of the Rennbay new-production power shafts and modifying that.

As an idea, I know that some VW and other cars use a two-piece shaft (inner shaft and outer shaft) that collapses for crash safety...the two pieces are locked together by a plastic rivet, strong enough for normal steering operation but shears off in case the shaft gets collapsed in a crash.

There has been a lot of clamoring for new-production manual steering shafts (the same as the PS shaft but about an inch longer) but not quite enough demand for Rennbay to run production...but maybe you could fill that gap.

...and then it could be carried by Pelican...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olin83 View Post
Hi Dmitry,

This a used steering shaft just modified. If that is against forum rules I have no issue selling through Pelican if there is interest.
Used parts are absolutely okay to sell through the forum - I appreciate your response.

-Dmitry
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: