Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Modified Steel A-Arms for Late Offset

Hi all,

I have been working on a small project. I saw a member of 944hybrids had used some steel plates to extend his steel A-arms to late offset so that you can run easily replaceable control arms and ball joints, while maintaining the late offset (details below). So I made a couple CAD models and sent them to a local waterjet/laser cutting place.
My first set got cut and right away I realized I made a mistake. The radius I have cut to clear the ball joint was not far enough towards the mounting holes... And the plate is a little too wide for the control arms. The good news is that my bolt pattern works great. I will have modified drawings sent to the cutter soon. I also plan to add two 14gauge spacers so that steel plates don't have to flex to clamp on the ball joint. I think this will work better. Here are some pictures after some grinding with my original designs. I used one plate to test out my dimensions this time rather than two as the spacers by the balljoint end. But the final product will include two 14 gauge plates. I will update my drawings and post them as well for anyone interested in making their own.

If anyone would like these, they will be $50 a set for a car. Please let me know if you would like a set. The quicker you let me know, the better. I plan to order soon.

In addition, if anyone has suggestions on better ideas, I am open to ideas. I know some of you will say, "why not just get the aluminum arms?" And I would say that is a wonderful idea. However, not nearly as cheap, and the replaceable balljoints are a big bonus to me.
I am also open to other project ideas that involve the waterjet/laser cutting. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. It will be easy to add another part in with this order. I am currently working on mounting the C6 Z06 Calipers with Cayenne 350mm rotors. This will only be for NA cars, unless the 951 guys have a lot of interest. I just don't have any turbo spindles to use for mock-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon123
I made my own late offset steel A arms, used the early VW type arms with extra stitch welding of the two halves, made triple thickness 1/4" steel extension plates and used the stock bolt on ball joints.
Got a pair of rear mount clips and a pair of sway bar brackets from a early offset car in a wrecking yard.
Lower ball joints can now be changed in minutes.
Whole job for the pair less than $250

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: