Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Shifter Position

Hi, I'm a new owner of an '84 928S and just starting to get to know the car.

Shortly after getting it, the shifter assembly starting loosening and rolling to the right or left when shifting. It quickly got worse to the point that it wouldn't shift out of gear. The guy at the shop I brought it to replaced the rear shift linkage, telling me that the PO had cross threaded the grub screw that retains the shaft. He also told me the shifter position should be located to the right for these earlier 928s, meaning the shifter center lines up with 4th and 5th gears if simply pushed forward or pulled back into gear. In practice I need to move the shifter left from center and then up for 2nd and left and down for 3rd. This is very odd and I'm having a hard time thinking its anything more than it getting set in the wrong position, so thought I would ask those in the know. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hmmm..not sure your mechanic is right on this - my shifter is loose between the 2-3 and 4-5 shift gates - meaning i can can bring it left and it will sit in the neutral slot between 2-3 or i can push it right and it will sit in the neutral slot between 4-5 - now to get it over to the R-1 gate there is a spring resistance - i assume this is some sort of semi lockout for reverse so you don't crash the gears going from 1st to 2nd - could be the linkage in the rear but i think there is also some adjustment where the shifter is attached to the torque tube - if i recall correctly that is
Old 08-10-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

IIRC, there is a centering spring normally located in the top of the transmission that keeps the shifter at rest directly in the middle. If the spring breaks, it won't stay in the middle any longer.

Again, IIRC, the transmission has to be removed to replace it.

If I'm wrong, someone with a better memory will correct me.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hey stepson - so your shifter actually springs both right and left to rest at the 2-3 gate? - mine only has spring when engaging 1st or reverse
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If yours does not center itself, then your centering spring is probably broken. I think most are broken from what I hear.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
i'll put that on the list of things to do the next time i take the tranny out - hopefully never
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Shifter position is pretty clearly spelled out in the factory manuals.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: